Is this normal behavior, or are they really hungry?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by k8XP, Dec 16, 2012.

1. k8XP

k8XPValued MemberMember

My tiger barbs have started eating algae off of the suction cups of my heater and were kinda pecking at the top of my driftwood like looking for food. They do normally peck at the gravel all day long, though.

Do they just do this to stay busy, or am I not feeding them enough? I feed them a small amount of pellets twice daily. With frozen brine and blood worms two or three times a week. (like a 1/3 of a cube at a time)

They eat all food within 30 seconds, and I don't give them more. It's Probably 2 or 3 pellets each. But even with a few pellets, their stomachs look full, or at least bigger, so that's why I only have been giving a few.

2. mrgso

mrgsoValued MemberMember

I'm not an expert or anything, (never even had barbs) but my guppies seem to do that just to stay occupied. Generally fish will eat as much as you give them. It's a survival instinct. Twice a day might even be too much! As long as each fish is getting food they should be fine with what you're doing. :)

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

They are probably eating small organisms off the algae and wood, not them themselves. It's easy enough for you to feed a little more and see if their behavior continues.

4. OP
    OP
    k8XP

k8XPValued MemberMember

Ok, I'll just let them do their thing. Maybe I'll drop some cucumber and zucchini in their more often for them to nibble on.

5. LibelleNew MemberMember

Fish are always on the look out for a meal as in the wild they do not have a feeding schedule. If they want to eat the algae let them. It will help keeping the algae level down as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice