Is this normal activity for fish after partial water change?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by fatbottomfish, Jan 2, 2013.

1. fatbottomfishNew MemberMember

I have just done a 25% water change, and my fish are all swimming around and playing more then normal? Even the chinese algae eater is more active. They just appear to be super happy about the water change. I just want to be sure this is normal activity? I am a newbie and this is my second water change, and I didnt notice the fish this active the last time.

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Yep it's completely normal. Fish really appreciate clean fresh water. It's like taking a shower :)

For some species, a water change can sometimes trigger spawning activity too ;)

As long as you're seeing playing, and normal behaviour, not skittish and scared (darting all over the place), you've got absolutely no problem :D

3. OP
    OP
    f

fatbottomfishNew MemberMember

Thank you, my Tiger Barbs are having a blast, maybe they are spawning?

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Changing the water is one of the ways people get their fish to breed. They will raise or lower the temp, or change some other parameter that helps to put them in the mood. In any event, water changes will always be appreciated by the fish.

5. JustKeepSwimming

JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

My fish just love it! Especially the guppies and platys in my community tank. They get very playful, swim right into the water as it's being poured in, sometimes they'll even bump my hands while I'm siphoning. Very normal behavior. :)

6. JRC3

JRC3Well Known MemberMember

Yep.

Change 50% of your water every week and thay will love it.

7. OP
    OP
    f

Thank you all for your help. I really enjoy my tank, and watching them play for hours after the water change put a smile on my face. ;)

8. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

My goldfish and danios do the exact same thing!! They love the water being poured and swim into it, reminds me of a dog hanging it's head out the window... they love water changes :)

9. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum.

I believe every one of us has noticed something very similar after a water change.

You stated this was only the 2nd water change, yet your tank has been running since 11/25/12, about 5 weeks. So, I have to ask. Do you know what your water parameters are? How was your tank cycled? Your profile indicates that you are unaware of the Nitrogen Cycle. Please click the underlined words and read about what happens in a newly set up aquarium if you haven't already.

10. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Totally missed that! Good catch :) Indeed, these are good questions!

11. OP
    OP
    f

yes you are correct, when I set up my tank I didnt know anything about the cycle , Petco, told me nothing about starting it up. All I knew was when I was a child having a 10 gallon and could only remember my mom taking me to pick out fish and cleaning out tank and water when it got cloudy. So I basically knew nothing! I have been very very lucky by not loosing fish, from what I have learned since joining this fourm. With that being said, my levels are all within the "safe" area on all my test. I had just learned this week that I need to do weekly water changes, so that is the reason for it being my second water change. It has been a learning experiance for me. Its not as simple as it looked when I was a child. But I am very thankful for what help I have received from this site.

12. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Then, I am glad you found this site when you did!! While your tank is cycling I recommend doing daily water changes. This will help to control the ammonia and nitrite that builds up in an uncycled tank.

BTW - There is no such thing as a safe level of ammonia or nitrite. Those paper strips you apparently are using are often inaccurate. I know you are just starting out, but something you need to purchase is a liquid testing kit. API Freshwater Master Test Kit is one of the best test kits on the market.

13. OP
    OP
    f

Yes I am using the strips, how much water change should I do daily? And how often should I be vacuuming the gravel?

14. JustKeepSwimming

JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the mention of the API Freshwater test kit, I'm going to buy that myself instead of strips.

15. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

I would do small daily water changes, 10-20%. Then, do the normal 50% water change once a week.

The API Test Kit does cost around $25 on average; but it lasts ages. I run 8 tanks and this kit lasts close to a year for me and I have fry tanks that I test many times a week.

16. OP
    OP
    f

17. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

All changes. Just adjust the amount you use.

18. JRC3

JRC3Well Known MemberMember

I just want to ad some advice about the API kit for the new guys. Shake the nitrAte test bottles for a minute or two. Especial bottle #2. Tap it on something as you shake it. If the solutions aren't shaken thoroughly the test will give low nitrAte results.

19. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If I recall correctly, it crystallizes in the bottle, which is why such vigor is needed. Gotta break it up.

20. 3aquariumsValued MemberMember

Search online for the master kit before buying it in the store, usually it is cheaper on amazon as compared to LFS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice