Is This Mouth Rot? Help

1. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I recently got 2 scarlet badis. Both happened to be male, with a third on backorder. It's been six days since I got them and my smaller male has lost what little color he had (he's a sub-dominant) and looks like hes missing a piece of his mouth!
    Before: [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    My larger male is swimming and eating fine (he's got a nice day belly!)
    I just removed the filter cartridge and started treating with some Melafix but I'm not sure if this is the right course of action. It's still within the 14 day warrantee but I still don't want him to die
    Tank parameters:
    5 gallon
    pH: 7.8
    0ppm ammonia
    0ppm nitrite
    5ppm nitrate
    76° Fahrenheit

Food:
    -Nano fry pellets (not sure if they actually eat them afyer they sink or if my snails do)
    -Vinegar eels

2. Demeter Well Known Member Member

If it was a fungus or bacterial issue then you would see discoloration and/or fuzzy stuff on his mouth. It could very well be a genetic issue or his lip was torn off in a fight (not sure if badis "kiss" like some other fish). I've made the mistake of buying a few cherry barbs, when I got them home I noticed the employee had netted a few of the fish that had misshapen mouths. They were fine, they just looked kinda weird.

For now, just make sure it starts eating.

3. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

He is really skinny, unlike my dominant male. He's lost some color and he had a fuzz on/in his mouth. It fell off/out when I netted him against the glass to get a better look. It may have been bitten off cause male scarlet do fight.
    I'll continue treating with melafix, as a precaution, and try and get him to eat something (not sure what at this point)

4. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Update
    My poor boy is sitting at the surface of the tank, behind the filter. His gills look red and inflamed. Since his mouth is messed up, it's difficult to get him to eat. Not sure he's gonna make it.
    Anything I can/should do?!

29bd9c484ddc86ec03e3c6ce5c83e8ac.jpg

5. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Update:
    This "morning", he's out from behind the filter and his fins don't look clamped. Gills still look inflamed though and mouth is still missing. Added some more vinegar eels so hopefully he can get some of those
    97f1dd965e7d20f081244b31811c39ce.jpg
    763e6c9a088a0f8ac272f0c64c56d841.jpg

My dominant male is still fine and badder than ever. Nice and full, no sign of injury or disease. fbfd0fb6eb62413cb1676e8f909b806d.jpg