Is this more than Ich?

Nianichole

Hi,

I'm currently treating for Ich with medication. It began on one Pleco and has spread through the tank. I'm concerned for my candy cane tetras, especially the one I attached a picture of.

The fin damage is new and I'm concerned there's possibly a secondary infection or something going on?

Thoughts?

So far I have not had any deaths; hoping I can save everyone.

Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure the cause of Ich is I added fish too fast and caused a mini cycle and stress. Good news is cycle is stable now and I added extra filtration. It's a planted tank. Ammonia and nitrites at zero, nitrates between 10-20.

Attachments

• IMG_20210406_154632829.jpg
    IMG_20210406_154632829.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 18

BigManAquatics

Can't tell from this picture, very well could have been nipped.

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Here are some more pictures in case it's helpful. He swims away when I get close to the tank so it's difficult.
Can't tell from this picture, very well could have been nipped.

Can illness encourage nipping? He's been in there a while with no issues and I haven't seen any nipping behavior...

Attachments

• IMG_20210406_162419339.jpg
    IMG_20210406_162419339.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210406_162428110.jpg
    IMG_20210406_162428110.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

The damage almost looks worse from this angle! Can't tell if nipped or what though...what all is in the tank?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Nothing aggressive...

2 fancy guppies
3 Kuhli Loaches
1 rubber lip pleco
2 lemon tetras
2 Candy cane tetras
10 ember tetras

I know I need more of the larger tetras. My LFS lead me astray a bit...
It happens. They don't need to be very aggressive to nip a fin or two.

Edit: i would say do a couple of extra water changes each week for the next few weeks to help grow back and help prevent infection, but doing the ich meds might prevent that for a bit. I would keep an eye on it though, make sure it doesn't get fungusy or rot looking.

Upvote 0

Nianichole

It happens. They don't need to be very aggressive to nip a fin or two.

Edit: i would say do a couple of extra water changes each week for the next few weeks to help grow back and help prevent infection, but doing the ich meds might prevent that for a bit. I would keep an eye on it though, make sure it doesn't get fungusy or rot looking.

Thank you!

I've been trying to decide if it already looks fungusy, but it's hard to tell with the Ich. I'll keep an eye on it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Level99Fishing
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies