Question Is This Molly A Male Or Female

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikaylann

Reaction score
Okay so I asked this before but it's still bothering me and I got some better pictures. I'm supposed to have 2 creamsicle mollies but one of them has some extra fins and I'm just confused on if it's a boy or a girl since it's so different than the other one. I'll put pictures of the one in question first, and the last picture will be the other molly that I'm sure is female.

Attachments

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The yellow one with the small, triangular shaped analfin that you think is female, is female. The washed out one with the longer fins is male. Thats how you tell them apart.

OP
M

Mikaylann

Reaction score
I thought he was male. Everyone told me it was a female before. Why is he more washed out though if hes a Male?shouldn't his colors be more vibrant? Weird.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No idea why his color is like that, could just be him, but its definitely a male. That long analfin is called a gonopodium and is a dead giveaway.

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why do we have to pigeonhole this fish into some neat little category? We should allow it to develop and explore its inner being at its own pace until it has sufficient time to make its own decision; it will self-identify once it has the freedom to explore its own interior and exterior existence. It's just not up to us to force it into some false identity that doesn't truly suit it.

It may decide that it is a new non-binary life-form, free to explore the rich diversity of its sexuality without being restricted by societal or other artificial boundaries...not that there's anything wrong with that...

But in those pics, that analfin doesn't really look like a gonopodium to me, rather just an extended analfin. Look at those pelvic fins. They're drawn out way beyond the natural length, and each picture seems to show a full analfin that is merely so long that it is partially collapsed, rather than fanned out like the obvious female in the last pic. I can't really see the actual tubular structure of a gonopodium there.

But, seriously...ask the fish!

BalloonMollies

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Both are female, the 2nd pic shows the triangle fin fanned out, which is only seen on females. The only difference on this molly is that it's analfins are longer than your typical molly, which makes it hard to tell if the fins aren't fanned out.
The molly doesn't have a gonopodium, the long fins make it look like it has one, but it's definitely female, not male.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom