Is This Mm Platy A Female? Should I Rehome Her?

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello
I added a Mickey Mouse Platy to my tank yesterday. I thought I got a male, but I am now thinking it is a female. Is it a he or a she?
2duig3l.jpg

I made it BW so the analfin show more.

I am wondering because my lone Guppy has been chasing the Platy constantly and I am afraid she will be too stressed if its a she. She/he has plenty of places to hide, but she/he doesn't.

The chasing is only for a second or two.

If it is a female, should I return her for a male?

Thanks

Lana1049

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That looks like a girl. I would wait a couple days to see if the fish end up stopping, if not, probably give it to a friend or back to your lfs.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you Lana.
This is the first Platy I ever had, so I needed confirmation. I want the best for all my fish, so I'll wait a few days and see. I have 12 days left to return her. If anything I'll get a male.
Thanks.

Ginni

Reaction score
That is definitely a female you have males will have more pointy fins that are much prettier then females lol

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree definitely a female and most are bought preegers from the pet shop so i would return her if you dont want fry

Ginni

Reaction score
smee82 said:
Agree definitely a female and most are bought preegers from the pet shop so i would return her if you dont want fry
I'm sure if she was pregnant when bought she would have already given birth and if there where no place for the babies to hide other fish may have already eaten them unfortunately .

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will store sperm for over 6 months. If she was ever kept with males she is most likely still pregnant.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
smee82 said:
smee82 said:
They will store sperm for over 6 months. If she was ever kept with males she is most likely still pregnant.
Ughhh. I knew they could store sperm, I just didn't give it any thought until now. I do not want fry. I already like her though

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ginni said:
I'm sure if she was pregnant when bought she would have already given birth and if there where no place for the babies to hide other fish may have already eaten them unfortunately .
If it was too early for her to have given birth she wouldn't have unless incredibly stressed (and no moving and being chased is not enough stress for a fish to abort its fry unless there is something else wrong, most livebearers will carry their fry to term and still give birth to them if the tank is reading high ammonia or other issues).
JoeCamaro said:
Ughhh. I knew they could store sperm, I just didn't give it any thought until now. I do not want fry. I already like her though
Get a male that looks just like her when you return her? Males have a rod shaped analfin and may have a couple extra colors on them, for the most part the black/white mm platy don't have a lot of extra color but something you can find one with blue eyes.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The chasing has stopped at least. She has adapted to the tank and seems happy. The guppy ignores her for the most part.

I think I'll keep her, even though there may be a possibility for surprise fry.

In case she has babies, I am hoping my Dwarf Gourami and Bolivian Ram will take care of most of them. In case there are survivors, I will rehome them or take them to the LFS.

Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom