Is This Malawi (mbuna) Cichlid Bloat? Think He Is Going To Die

ExpertBeginnerHA

Pretty easy question. I’ve never seen African cichlid bloat or ANY bloat in over a year of being into community fish, South American cichlids and African cichlids...but I’m guessing this is it? All four of my red zebras were perfect yesterday.

About three hours ago I noticed this one (male) looked massive and sluggish. More scary is that (sorry for the word) his anus looked ready to explode. Like 1/3 is the size of a pencil eraser wide open. (Sorry if too descriptive, but I have NEVER seen that either). I tried catching him 3 hours ago, he hid is the rocks and I was scared of hurting him. About 10 minutes ago I saw him out near the bottom and pretty lethargic so I took my chance and he was an easy catch. I put him in this breeder tank honestly because I am literally scared he may explode and I don’t need fish bits floating around my 75 gallon tank I just cleaned last night. I don’t have a hospital tank set up and I’m unfortunately pretty sure he is going to die, so at this point it’s about educating myself on what is happening to him, why none of the other fish have bloat nor ever have and if there is any chance of saving him.

I did put a mix of Epsom salt in there to possibly help him expel. Everyone else seemed to poop. Not him. These are the foods I feed, twice a day. And maybe 1-2 times a month they get a Spirulina/brine combination cube. But that’s not often because those fish destroy them so quickly that I don’t even think they enjoy them as a treat!
You must be registered to see images

Kjeldsen

It sure looks like it to me. The blood-streaked anus is a common symptom. If it's still eating, Metro in it's food would be the quickest most direct route.

ExpertBeginnerHA

It sure looks like it to me. The blood-streaked anus is a common symptom. If it's still eating, Metro in it's food would be the quickest most direct route.
He’s upside down now, still breathing but don’t think he’s going to eat at this point

Thank you for the response though.

Kjeldsen

So sorry. It may be too late for him, but since the bloat can spread I would treat the tank with Metro anyway - or if the rest of the fish are still eating, soak some pellets in a bit of fish or vegetable oil in small cup of water and a small measure of Metro. It may just ward off an impending outbreak. Good luck.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bcsay720
Replies
Views
Sien
Replies
Views
NicksFishTanks
Replies
Views