Is this low calcium?

LouPey
I've noticed my nerite snail (that I've had for 1 week now) is getting white marks on this shell. Does this mean a lack of calcium?

20210118_225136.jpg

At first I thought maybe it was dead as its not been moving the last couple of days but I read on this forum that they just do that sometimes (not move) and that it's not dead.

I don't really want to harden my water (I read that it could be low hardness levels?) for my kerri tetras.
So I just want to confirm, does it mean its too soft for the snail? Or is there something else wrong with the snail?

20210118_225155.jpg

I have an assassin snail whose shell is fine and has been in the same tank for weeks now.

If it the water parameters I will move the nerite into my other tank as the nerite in there seems to be doing well and try figure something else out to tackle the algae for this tank to work alongside my bristlenose pleco.

richiep
Lack of calcium wouldn't show through in a week what I'm looking at are mark's from limpets on the right and what looks to be peeling shell on the back.
To get a good idea on what your tank is doing you need gh/kh/ph tests done

LouPey
richiep said:
Lack of calcium wouldn't show through in a week what I'm looking at are mark's from limpets on the right and what looks to be peeling shell on the back.
To get a good idea on what your tank is doing you need gh/kh/ph tests done
I see what you mean by the limpet marks.
When I tested on Thursday I got 7.6 pH, 6 Alkalinity and 8 total hardness:

Screenshot_20210118-234250_Aquarium Note.jpg

EDIT: my area is meant to have very hard water so I'm not sure how I get these readings and sometimes wonder if I should try a different test kit!

I just found pictures I took the day I got the snail and actually it looks like they were there already to be fair.

20210113_182253.jpg

Although the peeling on the back bit wasn't as bad back then:

20210113_182247.jpg

richiep
I've seen snails far worse than that so give him time to see how he goes, your water fine

LouPey
richiep said:
I've seen snails far worse than that so give him time to see how he goes, your water fine
Thank you, fingers crossed! I'll leave him in there for the time being and keep an eye on him. Thank you!

Latest threads

Top Bottom