Is this lily bulb dead?

RedOnion

I got 2 dwarf lily bulbs a week ago. I didnt want to plant them because I didnt know which side they would shoot their leaves out; so I let them float. One sank which is the one in the pic and the other one is still floating. Is the one that sunk dead? Or are they both dead? They both have this fuzz only one one side.

1618867098858.png

jtjgg

give them a gently squeeze, if mushy its dead. if firm should still be alive.

the fuzz looks like algae.

i would plant them in the substrate, you can replant it later.

Upvote 0

RedOnion

give them a gently squeeze, if mushy its dead. if firm should still be alive.

the fuzz looks like algae.

i would plant them in the substrate, you can replant it later.
Theyre hard the last time I touched them. Does it matter which way I plant them?

Upvote 0

The2dCour

I'm not *sure* it matters as the plants seem to shoot out from the bulb rather than grow from them, if that makes sense?

Upvote 0

jtjgg

plant them on their side, they grow long ways.

one end is the old part, and the other end is the new or growing tip.

if you take them both out and get a few pics from different sides, we might be able to tell which side is the growing tip.

Upvote 0

RedOnion

plant them on their side, they grow long ways.

one end is the old part, and the other end is the new or growing tip.

if you take them both out and get a few pics from different sides, we might be able to tell which side is the growing tip.
I can get a pic in a bit but I just checked and they are hard so not rotten (which is good) I planted them like you said, hopefully they grow. How long do they usually take to shoot up something?

Upvote 0

The2dCour

I'll race you, I just replanted one today! ;0

Upvote 0

RedOnion

I'll race you, I just replanted one today! ;0
oof i bet im going to lose lol. ill come back in a weeks time and update you!

Upvote 0

Nianichole

I ordered one of these and they said not to plant it until after it sprouted. They said if it didn't sprout in 1-3 weeks to turn it over as you might have it upside down.

If there is a way to tell which way is the growing end though, that would be nice. I'm still waiting for mine to do anything...

Fuzzy growth on the outside is normal. My fish like to snack on it.

Upvote 0

The2dCour

Mine had been planted, grown and zi let it go back to bulb, it rested for a while and then sat at bottom of aquarium for a few months but no sprout. Hoping that planting it changes things so I can win this race!

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Mine had been planted, grown and zi let it go back to bulb, it rested for a while and then sat at bottom of aquarium for a few months but no sprout. Hoping that planting it changes things so I can win this race!

How did you decide which way to plant it? Maybe I should try that with mine...

Upvote 0

The2dCour

I just put it under slightly ::shrugs::
20210420_185507.jpg

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Davidh9054
  • Question
Replies
Views