Is this ick on my long fin tetras?

NewToTheTropics

Wondering if people wouldn’t mind having a look at these photos to tell me if this looks like the beginning of ick on my long fin tetras (caudal fin superior aspect for both). My tank parameters are perfect currently. None of the other fish seem to have any spots. The purple tetra has had a bit of fraying to the fins since I got it. They are both acting well. I have turned up the temperature and added some salt. TIA!!

Attachments

• 353BFD4E-D513-4CC8-B56E-7C529DE435D7.jpeg
    353BFD4E-D513-4CC8-B56E-7C529DE435D7.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 7
  • AD6E2B89-74AF-4DF7-A828-D53BA126F938.jpeg
    AD6E2B89-74AF-4DF7-A828-D53BA126F938.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 7

Bwood22

Wondering if people wouldn’t mind having a look at these photos to tell me if this looks like the beginning of ick on my long fin tetras (caudal fin superior aspect for both). My tank parameters are perfect currently. None of the other fish seem to have any spots. The purple tetra has had a bit of fraying to the fins since I got it. They are both acting well. I have turned up the temperature and added some salt. TIA!!
It's hard to tell in the pictures what's actually on the fish with the other white particles in the water. But it does look like ich on the fins.

Have you added anything new to the tank recently? If not...then something else has happened in the tank recently and it's adding extra stress and has caused this to flare up...so be thinking about that too.

Are they flashing? (Scratching their gills)

The heat will make the spots fall off quicker...and also spread around quicker if you don't have enough salt added to dehydrate the parasites before they reattach to the fish, so keep an eye on the spots and their locations.

Do a thorough gravel vac when they fall off.

Be mindful of any plants and invertebrates before you dump too much salt in the tank...but the salt will kill it.

NewToTheTropics

It's hard to tell in the pictures what's actually on the fish with the other white particles in the water. But it does look like ich on the fins.

Have you added anything new to the tank recently? If not...then something else has happened in the tank recently and it's adding extra stress and has caused this to flare up...so be thinking about that too.

Are they flashing? (Scratching their gills)

The heat will make the spots fall off quicker...and also spread around quicker if you don't have enough salt added to dehydrate the parasites before they reattach to the fish, so keep an eye on the spots and their locations.

Do a thorough gravel vac when they fall off.

Be mindful of any plants and invertebrates before you dump too much salt in the tank...but the salt will kill it.
Bwood22 thank you so much for looking and your reply! My tank is recently recovering from an algae bloom. I installed a UV filter which has completely cleared up the water. Aside from that there have not been any big changes. They are not flashing. The white particles in the pictures are actually bubbles.

Thanks for the advice regarding the salt. I do have live plants so it’s a bit of a tricky balance. My fish did have Ick over one month ago, seemed to clear up (tons of vacuuming, water changes, temp up and eventually malachite green). I was hoping not to Have to use malachite green again... I lost a number of fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NewToTheTropics
Replies
Views
heidi80

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom