Is this ich?

• Thread starter Lebeeze
  • Start date

DesertFishman

It appears to be, best bet is to quarentine him immediately in separate tank and you can use Ich medicine to try and treat it. Just know not all fish survive the medicine. You have to know that you can lose the fish just trying to cure it. But definitely separate him immediately and keep a close eye on your other fish. Hope he survives I love Electric blues just lost my entire 75 gallon to a tank blow out while I was out for the day. I lost 22 adults and fry and was a massive clean up no more tanks in carpeted rooms lol. Broke my heart too was my fav tank. Good luckBro

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
DesertFishman said:
It appears to be, best bet is to quarentine him immediately in separate tank and you can use Ich medicine to try and treat it. Just know not all fish survive the medicine. You have to know that you can lose the fish just trying to cure it. But definitely separate him immediately and keep a close eye on your other fish. Hope he survives I love Electric blues just lost my entire 75 gallon to a tank blow out while I was out for the day. I lost 22 adults and fry and was a massive clean up no more tanks in carpeted rooms lol. Broke my heart too was my fav tank. Good luckBro
Sorry but if this is Ich, the main tank.is crawling with parasites and should be treated. Seperation of fish with Ich has no use.

DesertFishman

DoubleDutch said:
Sorry but if this is Ich, the main tank.is crawling with parasites and should be treated. Seperation of fish with Ich has no use.
I've had luck with separating a fish with ich, if other fish showed no signs in the past but I'm not going to pretend to be an expert.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
DesertFishman said:
I've had luck with separating a fish with ich, if other fish showed no signs in the past but I'm not going to pretend to be an expert.
I'm not gonna pretend I am one hahaha.
But if one knows the lifecycle of Ich the use of a seperation-action is doubtable. But to be honest there even is a med suggesting that. Don't know why.

Still not 100% sure this is Ich btw.

DesertFishman

DoubleDutch said:
I'm not gonna pretend I am one hahaha.
But if one knows the lifecycle of Ich the use of a seperation-action is doubtable. But to be honest there even is a med suggesting that. Don't know why.

Still not 100% sure this is
I new so I hope you dont think I was taking a shot at you with the expert thing. What I was saying is I'm no expert on ich, I've dealt with it a few times and had success and failures so it's just what worked for me. But I've always had the most success quarentine a fish at first sign of trouble wether its ich or not can be observed better separated in my opinion.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
DesertFishman said:
I new so I hope you dont think I was taking a shot at you with the expert thing. What I was saying is I'm no expert on ich, I've dealt with it a few times and had success and failures so it's just what worked for me. But I've always had the most success quarentine a fish at first sign of trouble wether its ich or not can be observed better separated in my opinion.
Didn't think so and in most (other) cases you're absolutely right. Seperation is the first you should.

Ich is an iceberg though. 5% on the fish 95% in the water and invisible. Treatments are aimed on this 95%. If you kill those fish won't get infected again.

Maybe you were lucky your other fish could resist the parasites in a natural way.

Back on topic : I'd like to hear the opinions of other members. Is it Ich?

Lebeeze

Well Known
Someone please know 100% because I dont want to treat for ich and up the temp if there is nothing wrong. I honestly do t even remember seeing 1 white dot on him and yesterday he was acting wierd at feeding time, like seemed semi interested in the food but not enough to actually eat it. That's when I noticed all the white on him.

Lebeeze

Well Known
A201 do you have any idea if this is ich or not?

A201

Fishlore VIP
IMO, the problem isn't Ick. The white smudges and spotting looks more like excess slime coat secretions.
Some unknown irritant might be causing this reaction.
Since no other tankmates are exhibiting the symptoms, be a good idea to remove the Hap to a hospital tank & treat with a parasite med & optional, slime coat product like SeaChem's StressGuard.

Lebeeze

Well Known
Okay thank everyone who responded. I'm going to treat with stress guard which I already had a bottle of. If the problem persists I will add another picture and go from there! Also sorry A201 for tagging you in this but you have always been my go to for african cichlids lol! Thank you all

Lebeeze

Well Known
Just an update, I treated with seachem stress guard and a parasite medication for the last 9 days, woke up this morning and found him dead. I have no idea what took his life and no other fish have these white Marks.

A201

Fishlore VIP
You can only do so much. Sometimes fish just die. Mystery fish deaths occasionally happen. A quick trip to the LFS usually shortens the grieving period.

Lebeeze

Well Known
A201 said:
You can only do so much. Sometimes fish just die. Mystery fish deaths occasionally happen. A quick trip to the LFS usually shortens the grieving period.
Yeah I've already gone to the LFS lol. Bought a nice looking OB

Top Bottom