Is This Ich?

HaileStorm

Valued Member
Reaction score
I moved my Platy to my 6g qiarantone right away when I noticed some white spots. Is this ich?

No new member has been added to my 23g community tank and the only equipment i added a few days ago was a new canister filter. Where could he/she have gotten it if it is indeed ich?

How do I know when to move him back to the community?
c9f48479071e4fbb25f12d942fbcd9a8.jpg
cd313a97a31c61af33ba6c0fbd8de732.jpg
3de7a45905ca663823e1e31498292cae.jpg
1204aeafe1eb98f13d0151d1f8ddf8b5.jpg
246ca94895a7eee793016aeee59987db.jpg
4faa47ab90ad86f81c479cbc8b5e081f.jpg
1adfca67a714740433c108308a23f6e0.jpg

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the tail looks like it, but on the body it doesn't. Could be an Ich like protozoan (Costia for instance)

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it is ich (look for more spots on the body), you'll need to treat the main tank too, and not just the QT tank for the affected fish.

In the future, if a fish has ich, don't QT it, as then you're infecting two different tanks. Ich is in the environment, so you always need to treat the main tank.

HaileStorm

Valued Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
If it is ich (look for more spots on the body), you'll need to treat the main tank too, and not just the QT tank for the affected fish.

In the future, if a fish has ich, don't QT it, as then you're infecting two different tanks. Ich is in the environment, so you always need to treat the main tank.
DoubleDutch said:
In the tail looks like it, but on the body it doesn't. Could be an Ich like protozoan (Costia for instance)
I didnt want it to infect the other inhabitants if it really is ich, so I moved him over right away. None of the other fish had spots so I'm hoping they arent infected.

After reading up on ich, articales said that it's only possible when introducing new fish into the tank or buying used equipment. So I'm wondering where my fish got it from? All my fish are old inhabitants and I never bought used equipment...

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Moving her won't prevent the other fish getting ich though, if that's what it is. By the time you see it on the fish, it has been in the environment for a while. Ich usually attacks the gills before it shows up on the body too, so the other fish could already be infected.

So moving a fish with visible ich does not mean that the main tank doesn't need to be treated.

Ich can pop up with others stressors. But again, this may not be ich.

HaileStorm

Valued Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
Moving her won't prevent the other fish getting ich though, if that's what it is. By the time you see it on the fish, it has been in the environment for a while. Ich usually attacks the gills before it shows up on the body too, so the other fish could already be infected.

So moving a fish with visible ich does not mean that the main tank doesn't need to be treated.

Ich can pop up with others stressors. But again, this may not be ich.
TexasGuppy said:
Does that fish look bloated? Or is that normal?
Okay, here's an update:

This Platy just gave birth in the quarantime tank! I guess it was pure luck that I moved her in the first place.

I really thought that both my Platys are just really fat. The other one gave birth a month ago and now this one too! I got them fom my lfs looking lile this already and when the other one gave birth last month, she never shrank and looks just as fat as this one.

Anyway, what is the best way to treat ich in community tank?

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HaileStorm said:
I moved my Platy to my 6g qiarantone right away when I noticed some white spots. Is this ich?

No new member has been added to my 23g community tank and the only equipment i added a few days ago was a new canister filter. Where could he/she have gotten it if it is indeed ich?

How do I know when to move him back to the community?View attachment 435554View attachment 435555View attachment 435556View attachment 435557View attachment 435558View attachment 435559View attachment 435560
Ich is technically not a 'disease.' Ich is always on the fish, but when the fish is weak, it flares up and tries to kill the fish.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Remember daily gravel vacs while doing the heat treatment.

To spot ich well, I recommend turning off all of the lights in the room and the tank lights.

Next, shine a LED flashlight on the fish and observe. Ich should be easier to see with a LED flashlight.

It’s useful for other diseases and parasites that show symptoms in the outside too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom