Is This Ich?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by pugguppy, Apr 16, 2017.

1. pugguppyNew MemberMember

If so, how can I cure it?
    Residents:
    Swordtails
    Platy
    Rasboras
    Neon tetras
    Pleco
    Corycats
    09546bb3a29b138732c58d64d6f922da.jpg

2. MRSSOPHAFISH

MRSSOPHAFISHNew MemberMember

It looks to be

I used garlic I'm not sure of others opinions on it but it actually worked for me

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  3. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Doesn't look like it to me. Ich is raised. Usually looks like a salt granule.

4. KelceyMaeraei

KelceyMaeraeiValued MemberMember

Looks like ich to me...I treated with heat. I had no casualties. I guess I caught it early. But yes, those spots were exactly how my ich presented.

5. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Looks like ich to me!
    I would highly recommend either the heat or salt treatment, depending what you have available.

6. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

I had some sunset platys who started nibbling at each other, which caused them to get either ich or columnaris. I never figured out which, but since I had no medications at hand I decided to try the heat method. I raised the temperature to about 86 F and a week later it was all gone.

7. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

It looks like ich or the beginnings of fin rot or possibly a combination of both to me.. I use the esha products (esha 2000 in combination with esha exit) to treat ich, and 2000 will also treat any other issues.

8. Herkimur

HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

What kind of Pleco?
    I know Bristlenose can't go higher than 78 I've read on Fishlore Profiles.

Heat could stress everything even more and you get secondary infections.
    Bacteria loves heat, you could end up breeding the wrong kind.

ICH-X by Aquarium Solutions (Hikari) comes highly recommended by Aquarium Co-Op and he says it's loach, pleco and plant safe.

Medicate just before bedtime and keep the room dark in case it's Oodinium.

9. OP
    OP
    p

pugguppyNew MemberMember

It's a common pleco

10. KO_

KO_Valued MemberMember

I've turned my temp up to 86 for ICH and my BN Pleco was fine, just a single case but I wanted to mention it. As long as it Is not sustained a period of time in a higher temperature should be ok.

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Then it wasn't columnaris. Heat doesn't treat that. Quite different symptoms btw.

Is this fish already hanging at the surface. Raising the temp means less oxygen in the water !!!! So be careful.

12. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

As far as I know (and I might be wrong) columnaris looks more cotton-ish and fluffy and ich is more like grains of salt. The stuff my fish had was white and fluffy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice