Is This Ich?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by 613severin, Apr 12, 2017.

1. 613severin

613severin New Member Member

2. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

It could be. Do you have any other fish that have those white spots? Right now I can see 3 spots on the tail. If you start to see more or if your fish starts to act strangely, like flashing or rubbing itself against decorations or anything in the tank, then more than likely it is ich.

3. OP
    OP
    613severin

613severin New Member Member

thank you.. no other fish have it. and i just noticed it this morning.. will check again after work to see if it has gotten worse.

4. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

It does look like ich to me. When I zoom in on your picture, I think I see at least 5 spots. It's a good idea to keep a close eye on it. I actually would suggest that you begin heat treatment now to prevent it from spreading any further.

You can gradually raise the temperature in your tank to 86 degrees. You will want to keep the temperature there for two weeks. During that time, perform partial water changes with a thorough gravel vac every 2-3 days. Keep up with the heat and gravel vac routine for two weeks even if you no longer see signs of ich.

Heat is great because it is a very effective natural treatment that works well without harming your beneficial bacteria. (On a side note, is your tank cycled? Just checking because I have read that heat can increase ammonia if there is any present in your tank.)

Best of luck with your new tank!

5. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Heat works great with tropical fish and I highly recommend it instead of all the meds out there.
    Just to add a little bit to the heat treatment, make sure you have a lot of surface agitation in your tank, water holds less oxygen in warmer temperatures and ich may be on the gills, making it harder to breath for the fish so adding an airstone or two will be helpful.
    EDIT: Sorry for the double post, my internet trolled me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice