Is this Ich?

1. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

I have a 20 gallon live planted tank with 3 pregnant guppies, 3 baby guppies about a month old (I'm guessing) and about 15 fry (so far). I also have 2 small Nerite snails in the tank.

I noticed today that one fish looks like she may have Ich. She has a few white dots that look like salt or sand stuck to her fins. I tried to get a decent pic.

I've read several threads that say to raise the temp to 83F for about 2 weeks and that should kill off the parasites. I do regular water changes and all parameters look good.

I also use Seachem Safe and Flourish Excel in the water and Matrix in the filter as well as floramax bio gravel.

They get a variety of food choices including omega one color flakes and mini granules, veggie granules, red algae in a clip, ground krill fry starter, live mosquito larvae, blood worms and gnat larvae and BBS. [​IMG] the yellow tail is the one in question.

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Where are the spots? On the tail?

3. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Looks like they are on the anal and ventral fins

4. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Yes. And I think there may be a spot or two on the body but it's hard to see.

Yes, after shining my phone light on her I can see several spots on her body also. I don't see any spots on the other two adults so far.

5. jhigg008

Well you could start to slowly raise the temp to about 86 F. If it is ich, then it should begin to fall off the body in a few days after which time you will need to either continue with the heat only treatment for at least 14 days or lower temp and dose meds.

6. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

I'd rather not do meds if I can rid it safely without. Will the higher temp for that long harm any of the fish?

Also, should I up the temp in my 38 gal also? The guppies were in it prior to moving to the 20 gal a few days ago.

7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

8. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

9. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Ok I've increased temp throughout the day and the 20 is sitting on 84.8 and while the fry are swimming around, the adults are just hovering together at the top. I'm worried about the high temp for them ...

I also noticed at least one fish, maybe 2 in my 38 that have spots on the fins too so I started raising the temp there too. I think it's close to 80 now.

I also made some garlic water and soaked some food in it. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. I soaked the mini granules. I thinly sliced 2 large cloves and put in a baby food jar with water and let it sit. It's now in the fridge concentrating.

10. jhigg008

Did you increase the oxygen level in your tank? Turn up the bubbler or the filter if possible. How are they doing now?

11. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

Heat wont exactly stress them, but just like ich it will speed up their lifecycle. Make sure when moving the temp you do so over a few days up/down so your fish can adjust. Also make sure you gravel vac regularly to suck up any ich that has fallen.

Also as stated just above me, did you increase bubbler/filter? (You could also drop the water level a half inch to inch) when the heat is higher theres less oxygen in the water.

12. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

This thing in the middle bubbles. The pump doesn't have an adjustment but it seems to be pretty bubbly. [​IMG]

I was going to vac/water change today but they started having their fry yesterday evening. I did stir up the gravel and open the filter up (I'd had it covered with a mesh bag so fry didn't get sucked in but they seem to be fine with it open) and try to get as much gunk removed as possible and then did a 20-25% water change last night. I used the baster to stir up and filter again today. I can do another partial water change tonight or tomorrow. I plan on at least trying to keep it filtered until the fry are big enough that I won't suck them up in the vac. I have the one that runs with water so no bucket to save anyone that gets removed on accident.

I've also been slightly bumping up the temp all day. Just a tiny movement of the dial each time.

Any other recommendations?

13. B

Bhatti Valued Member Member

Heat treatment is best for ich, but I have done garlic method with out raising temperature(coz i didn't have heater then) and it worked just fine. I wouldn't recommend you any thing as I am not much experienced and also not many people trust garlic method but it would not harm fish at all. I added 3/4 loaves in my 20 gallon and replaced them after few days when they start decaying. Also i feed my fish feed soaked in garlic juice(just put couple of loaves in half cup of water and let it sit). Just to tell you results, I tried this on guppy fry in winter without heater(maybe 18C) and lost 4-5% of fry only.
    But again try it on your on risk if you want. Or you can use it along with heating method.

14. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Thanks. I'm currently using heat and garlic water. I can also add a couple cloves to the tank. Did you add them in whole or sliced? And was that ¾ clove or 3-4 cloves?

15. B

Bhatti Valued Member Member

Just peeled cloaves and it was 3 or 4.