is this ich?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by featherblue, Nov 26, 2012.

1. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

So I noticed these spots on a couple of my puffers noses today......did they come home with ich?
    100678-nosespots.jpg
    the 3 spots on her nose area
    100680-nose.jpg
    here's anotherone with nose spots on it

This guys side has me a little concerned as well
    100679-pufff.jpg

I got the best pics I could, I hope they're clear enough to see what I noticed.

2. Shine

ShineWell Known MemberMember

The pictures aren't clear enough for me to tell. However if it is ich it will look like someone sprinkled salt on the fish. Not 'melted' salt, not fuzzy... raised grains of salt.

3. OP
    OP
    f

featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Is there anything I can hurt by treating even if they're fine? Would the higher temp cause any of its own issues?

How much is a lot of airation? I'm already running a bubbler ring and a sponge filter.

Can this potentially infect my sponge filter? I'm seeding it for a future tank, I don't want to move ich into it

4. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

A higher temp would exacerbate any fungal or bacterial diseases. Don't use the heat treatment unless you're sure it's ich.

Yes, the spores can settle in a sponge filter. You will want to treat the ich before moving the filter. Thankfully, there are ich treatments readily available that are safe for your cycle. Rid-Ich Plus is one of them, though it has a very distinct tendency to turn blue anything that can be stained. Including your clothes. Rid-Ich Plus is probably safer than a lot of potential ich meds when dealing with sensitive species like catfish, as well, though there is always the potential for a bad reaction in any one fish.

5. OP
    OP
    f

But there's inverts in the tank, is that copper based? DPs are also sensitive to copper

How could I tell the diff? Id rather treat early before anything gets out of hand. Ive seem a spot or two onnthe nose area of 3 at this point. Grain of salt is the best way I could describe it

6. OP
    OP
    f

Checked instructions on rid ich, I cant use it. It kills invertebrates so it may harm my puffers as well (Sim med probs as invert according to dwarfpuffers.com)

Any ideas?

7. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

You might check out the same company's Ich Attack. Less effective in my experience, but it may be safer.

If you can be sure it's ich, you could probably go for the heat treatment, but not until you're sure.

8. OP
    OP
    f

I cant find good pics anywhere to compare. The google results show fish sonmuch more peppered. I know these guys were exposed and heat treated right before I got them so ive been watching obsessivly. But from the reading ive done, ich is respitory, extirnal spots appear near gills and nose first.....what should I use as a deciding factor? Wait for more dots, so I know its ich? What else should I be concerned about?

9. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Well, if they're saltlike specks, and they are doing a lot of rubbing and scratching on things, it probably is ich. Other possibilities with white spots or patches include velvet, columnaris, and flukes among other things.

10. OP
    OP
    f

This is my first round with disease on a fish, I have no idea how to differentiate between these potential problems.

I haven't seen anyone rubbing. Have seen a few tiny salt like spots on the nose area and I know these guys were exposed to ich.

I waiting for the light to turn on to try again on pics, but my camera leaves a lot to be desired.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice