Is this Ich?

chevysoldier

I just did a 50% water change and notice what looks like Ich on some of my barbs. Was thinking they might be small air bubbles from the water getting stirred up? They seem to be more on the fins of the fish and not the bodies a whole lot. I couldn't see anything on the other fish, of course they are albinos so it's difficult to tell. I hope these pictures are clear enough.

Sharkdude

Well I can tell you that those are not Albino and they don't appear to me as if they have ich. I'm on my Droid so its a little screen.

Alessa

I see the little dots. If it is, then it is a minor infection. Keeping the water pristine and turning up the heat a little should do it.

chevysoldier

Sharkdude said:
Well I can tell you that those are not Albino and they don't appear to me as if they have ich. I'm on my Droid so its a little screen.
lol, I meant on the other fish in the tank. Besides the tiger barbs, I have some Albino Cories and an Albino BN Pleco.

Alessa said:
I see the little dots. If it is, then it is a minor infection. Keeping the water pristine and turning up the heat a little should do it.
It's set between 75 and 77 F. Should I go higher than that?

Alessa

Try to go to 80, never go above 82. Keep the water aerated to make sure there is enough oxygen. As soon as you notice the dots are disappearing, turn the heat back down.

catsma_97504

Ich looks like white salt has been sprinkled over the infected fish. From what I can see, it does not appear white. But it could just be my eyes.

What are your current water parameters?

If you believe you fish have ich, then you will need to raise the temp slowly to 86F. And, keep it there for 14-days. And do large water changes with gravel vacs 2-3 times each week. And add extra air lines to make sure the water is saturated with O2.

Good luck.

chevysoldier

chevysoldier

Oh, Catsma, you're right it doesn't seem very white. More translucent I think.

chevysoldier

Well, to answer my original question, yes it is Ich. I got home today and one of the barbs was covered in it. I set up the Q tank and put the 3 barbs that had it into it. I treated the water with Rid-Ich Plus, the only thing I was able to pick up last minute, and watched them. After about an hour of struggling, the worst of them died. I am currently raising the water temp to about 82 degrees.

I gravel vac'd and did a 60% water change on the main tank. Treated it with the Rid-Ich as well. Now I guess along with water changes and treating the water, I play the waiting game?

catsma_97504

As this is definitely ich, you will need to treat your main tank. The best thing to do first is to raise the water temperature to 86F slowly. No more than 1-2 degrees per hour. Once you reach 86F, keep it there for 14-days. During this 2 week period you will need to do a large water change and a gravel vac every other day. And, as warmer water holds less oxygen, add extra airlines.

The ich will fall off the fish after a week or so. But stay the course as you have to deal with round two.

Ever since I began using this form of treatment, I have never had a repeat of ich in any of my fully stocked tanks. Save the chemical treatments for when it is really necessary.

chevysoldier

catsma_97504 said:
As this is definitely ich, you will need to treat your main tank. The best thing to do first is to raise the water temperature to 86F slowly. No more than 1-2 degrees per hour. Once you reach 86F, keep it there for 14-days. During this 2 week period you will need to do a large water change and a gravel vac every other day. And, as warmer water holds less oxygen, add extra airlines.

The ich will fall off the fish after a week or so. But stay the course as you have to deal with round two.

Ever since I began using this form of treatment, I have never had a repeat of ich in any of my fully stocked tanks. Save the chemical treatments for when it is really necessary.
I did treat both the Q tank and the main tank with the medication. I am raising the QT slowly to about 82. It only has two tiger barbs in it. Tomorrow I will take it up to 86. Won't be able to tonight as it is late.

The main tank I left the temp at about 77. I wasn't sure how the albino cory cats and the albino BN pleco would do higher than that. Should I still take it to 86?

I added an air stone to the QT and I have a long air stone in the main tank. They run off the same pump which is turned on high. The filter I also turned on high as well. Removed the carbon from it too.

I will do 50%-60% water changes every other day with gravel vacs.

catsma_97504

Yes. Cories and plecos can tolerate the higher temps for a couple of weeks. If you don't push the temp up to 86, you will not be able to kill the ich spores.

Good luck!

chevysoldier

catsma_97504 said:
Yes. Cories and plecos can tolerate the higher temps for a couple of weeks. If you don't push the temp up to 86, you will not be able to kill the ich spores.

Good luck!
Thanks catsma. I'll keep you all informed how it goes for me.

I really wish I had one of those high tech heaters with the remote temp control outside the tank. haha

chevysoldier

Well I lost one of the barbs in the QT last night sometime. The other died about an hour ago. I'm really pretty upset. I'm sure I did everything right but yet I couldn't save them. Whenever I try to get more fish, it seems like something goes wrong and I end up losing them. This is really starting to bother me and I think I will keep the ones I have now but I'm not getting any more for a good long while.

catsma_97504

I am sorry thing are not working out. There must be something we are overlooking.

tcher48

This is happening with mine. I have lost several fish since we noticed it in our 60 gallon Wednesday night. I pulled a couple dead fish out this morning that were fine last night. Or at least, seemed fine. No ich on them, but it was on the some of the others. We have mainly mollies and platys in the tank. We have three cories that don't seem affected...yet. It's been the mollies that have been dying. It's very frustrating. I've done a big water change last night and will do it again today. Thank goodness summer vacation has started, and I'm not working my normal 11 hour days.

What seems odd to me though, is that the dead fish that I've pulled out don't have the ick spots on them. Well, one did, but not the others.

Also, does this affect mystery snails? I hope I don't lose those as well.

And one more question. I have two tanks up and running. The other is crystal clear and fine. Should we use separate siphoning hoses? Does it cross-contaminate once the hoses dry out? I don't want it in my other tank as well. Aarrgghhh!!

catsma_97504

If the cause is spreadable or contagious, using separate equipment could be an option.

It could be columnaris which is rampant in the spring and fall. It kills quickly and often fish show no outward signs of disease. Many have had luck using MelaFix and soaking foods in freshly minced garlic.

If this is ich and the spores have dropped, it will return. Easily treated with 86*F temp for 2 weeks, large water changes and gravel vacs 2 or 3 times each week. But make sure it is ich. If not the heat could speed up the progression. Columnaris kills even quicker in warmer water.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom