Is This Ich In The Bottom Of My Betta?

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IMG_5401.JPG

This is the best picture I have of it, I noticed when he was swimming and I thought it was ich but when I looked at it from below it look like it was a part of him. Any help would be greatly appreciated. He also has not been lethargic and he eats well and he hasn’t been rubbing on anything. I am a beginner with bettas so thanks for putting up with me

Here another picture but not good at all:
IMG_5405.JPG

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it was ich you would see sugary dots all over the fins and body. If its just one place it could be either a wound or bacteria/fungus.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
View attachment 434287
This is the best picture I have of it, I noticed when he was swimming and I thought it was ich but when I looked at it from below it look like it was a part of him. Any help would be greatly appreciated. He also has not been lethargic and he eats well and he hasn’t been rubbing on anything. I am a beginner with bettas so thanks for putting up with me

Here another picture but not good at all:
View attachment 434289
If its just one singular dot, I wouldn't worry. If you see more appear then yes. That dot might just be a false egg spot. And btw heat is not just a treatment, it's a requirement for them to be at their best and their immune systems. They are tropical fish, not coldwater, but can survive in Coldwater for a while, albiet not as happy or active as a betta in warm. And don't do any treatment ever unless you know for sure it's ich or whatever , as some treatments (i.e. melafix) can damage the betta's internal organs (labrynth mainly) and that can lead to premature death. If he's not acting weird and he's eating happily and swimming activley, I'm sure he's fine.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a heater its at 78 degrees I read for ich you need to raise it up to the 80°s. Also what about BettaFix is that something good to have on hand or no?

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell but u could always do a heat or salt treatment anyways just to be safe
Betta fish are TROPICAL not coldwater, so heat should not just be present for a treatment but a staple in the tank. Also you'd be best to remember that you should never do any sort of treatment with a betta unless you know it's necessary. Even a thing such as salt bath, which is used for certain times when a betta is ill, not just because you think it may or may not have something. I would never dip my betta in a salt bath just because I think she has something, nor would I use any medication to treat something that may or may not be there. Usually if water parameters and temp are right, and betta is fed good and varied diet, the betta most likely will never get illnesses or parasites such as ich, and if the betta does, he/she will be able to recover much easier.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually just keep an eye on it. If it becomes fuzzy that's when it becomes a problem.

If it's just a flesh wound clean pristine water will help healing.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a heater its at 78 degrees I read for ich you need to raise it up to the 80°s. Also what about BettaFix is that something good to have on hand or no?
Generally it's great to be prepared in case, but you really need to be 100000% sure the betta has an illness/parasite before using the medication. By having it, it may enable you to use it more easily without giving much thought, but then again, just think and do research and ask here or other betta fish people if it seems like the medication is the best option. Although you may have read that to help get rid of ich, the temp needs to be in the 80's, 78 is still close to 80 and just in general ick and parasites have a harder time in warmer water, even if it's not in the 80's. I always recommend having a heater as just a normal part of the tank as they are tropical fish and they are at their healthiest when the water is 78-81 (not exact measurements but close) and their immune systems are stronger and not supressed in warm water unlike colder water. And plus, in cooler water, bettas appetite is supressed and they have less desire to swim around and explore.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
I meant heat treatment as in slowly raise the heat to a higher temp to kill off ich it’s less harmful then using medicine or adding aquarium salt
If the tank temp is at 78, then raising it to 81 is not a bad idea, it won't rid of the ich, but it will make reproduction, and surviving a lot more dificult. Also aquarium salt is actually not as bad as people say, I've had betta fish experts tell me this. And it's not the cure all some people think either. I've used a little salt for my betta and she's been fine and healthy and happy. I have that alongside stress coat which 1 helps with the slime and the 2nd helps reduce stress among other things. It's not a magical cure but it does help in prevention which is more important than treating in my opinion.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I should just watch it and see what it does. I also noticed my water was a little cloudy and it has been ever since I started the tank, I added a Marimo moss ball today and that may have made it worse, but do you know what would make my water cloudy?

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks like a false ovipositor. (Or maybe you just have a female XD). If it is a false egg spot, it’ll go away as he grows older.

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How old is the fish? Are you 100% sure he's a he (and I don't mean just because the store had it on the cup)?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom