is this how they mate???

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Guys!!! I am trying to download the very short video I got with my phone...my 2 snails got into "something"!!! I don't know if they were mating or what??!!! The blue snail got on top of the gold one and didn't move as the gold one was twisting back and forth to get the other one off of he/she!!! The gold one looked like it was"going to come out of its shell"!!! Until he/she "folded" its foot and with that "hard" part over the back of the foot that looks like a "plate" used it to remove the other snail off of he/she!!! What was that all abouT???? It was so interesting to see!!!

Last edited:

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
they are mystery snails.... I don't know how to download the video to the site!!! You should see it!!! But definately, the one in the bottom didn't want the other one on top, and I have seen them on the pet store one on top of the other having no problem about it...Now, I have to say, the one "fighting" to get rid of the other one is and it has been since the 1st day, a very active snail! Maybe it is too independent to have "freeloaders" on its back! hehehe

Attachments

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m in no way an expert in snails, but my Ram’s Horn and Trumpet snails mate that way, my 3rd kind of snail (not sure what kind) mate using egg sacks.

I wonder if you have to different species. One’s trying to mate and the other is trying to fight off the unwanted advancements.

Your pic looks just like some of my nephew’s snails, I'll ask him about them and get back with you.

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FredBjammin, really? Does how yours mate? Well, I went and google it, and it said that snails place the front of their foot against each other and then shoot the sperm...so I thought, that is not what mine did. One was immobil on top of the other and the gold one was going crazy trying to get rid off of it!!! I will try to download the video like aquarist48 (Thanks!) advised me to do so you guys can see it!!! It is really very interesting to see!!! Thanks!!

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What you're talking about doesn't sound like mating then, it kinda sounds like what Assassin snails do when they are trying to eat an other snail. But your pic looks nothing like a Assassin snail.

I look forward to seeing your video.

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ken, I went to youtube andit says "your file has been uploaded. we are now processing the video" Does that sound like is going to work? Sorry...not very good at these things...

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, sounds great! It may take a little longer for it to process but hang in there.

Ken

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anyhow showed your snail pic to my nephew on facebook and this is what he said about it.

"That is a golden apple snail and it mates sexually there is a way to tell gender but i don't know what it is."

Any luck on the video yet?

rainman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Anyhow showed your snail pic to my nephew on facebook and this is what he said about it.

"That is a golden apple snail and it mates sexually there is a way to tell gender but i don't know what it is."

Any luck on the video yet?
LOL In my signature there is a picture that shows the visible anatomical difference between the genders of the Mystery Snail, Pomacea bridgesii.

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
guys!!! Could I email you the video??? Tried youtube but it gets stuck on "processing the video"....Is really worth it although is very short, just couple of seconds since I used my phone camcorder!!!

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
At the rainman, I noticed after I post it...I was like wait there's a chart right there, thought about editing it but I was late for work.

Anyhow Marina my e-mail is being a pan in the butt with opening attachments now. Are you on facebook? Videos are pretty easy to post on there. If you want to try, my e-mail is yo-freddie@juno.com and my facebook name is Frederick Horndt (the only person with that name), mention this forum and I'll confirm you as a friend. That also goes for anybody else in this forum too.

Last edited:

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Fred! I will email it and see if you can open it. It will not be an attachment because I took it with my phone & then emailed it to my email address. So when you get the email just click "view message" and there will be 2 very SHORT videos. The 2nd one is the best one. I am also on facebook, I will send you my "friend request". Thanks again!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom