Is This Hornwort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
313d51669f7d9895aa7f09eecf5f7d0b.jpg

Came with a shrimp order so they had something to cling to while in transit. I wasn't sure if it was hornwort since the hornwort I have had experience with had softer needles that shed at the drop of a hat. These needles are stiff and feel almost plastic...Thought it was an artificial plant at first but it's got very fast growth so far.

meyowmeow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep! looks like hornwort to me. It hardly ever sheds needles if it is properly cared for - at least in my experience. It does grow fast and I love having it floating in my aquariums!

vernonRSA

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a river adjacent to where I stay there was a bloom of duckweed which has since disappeared but has been replaced a rampant growth of hornwort which is clogging the river. Its beautiful once washed off and placed in an aquarium.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yep! looks like hornwort to me. It hardly ever sheds needles if it is properly cared for - at least in my experience. It does grow fast and I love having it floating in my aquariums!
In a river adjacent to where I stay there was a bloom of duckweed which has since disappeared but has been replaced a rampant growth of hornwort which is clogging the river. Its beautiful once washed off and placed in an aquarium.
Thank you both! I do really enjoy how it looks, I have it pinned to some rocks as of now. The shedding hornwort belonged to someone else for the record!

meyowmeow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you both! I do really enjoy how it looks, I have it pinned to some rocks as of now. The shedding hornwort belonged to someone else for the record!
It's great for keeping the algae down too - tends to out-compete for resources It might look a little more 'stringy' from being pinned down. I've found the ones I pin down tend to get long and stringy and the ones I let float get a thicker more bunchy look to them - could be why it looks a little different than others you've seen. Either way it seems to be doing well for you

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's great for keeping the algae down too - tends to out-compete for resources It might look a little more 'stringy' from being pinned down. I've found the ones I pin down tend to get long and stringy and the ones I let float get a thicker more bunchy look to them - could be why it looks a little different than others you've seen. Either way it seems to be doing well for you
You know, I was letting it float for a bit but being so close to the light was making it brown

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I actually use a plant weight to weigh it down, placed in the middle of the strand, making a u shape, will post a pic later.
I've found hat when grown in warmer tanks the needles are thinner. In my cold tank the needles are super thick

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I actually use a plant weight to weigh it down, placed in the middle of the strand, making a u shape, will post a pic later.
I've found hat when grown in warmer tanks the needles are thinner. In my cold tank the needles are super thick
Oh thanks for the tip! I have plant weights but I use them to weigh down veggies for the plecos LOL. I don't have any cold tanks unfortunately....the coldest tank I run is my RCS tank at 70ish degrees... Is that cold enough?

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you plant hornwort it will shed any needles close to the substrate. Floating it will not. You can wrap small pieces of plant anchor around it to make it sink slightly so its not at the surface. I weave it in and out of rocks like holey rock, or wrap it around driftwood etc. Its not the most beautiful plant but in large bunches its very beneficial for water quality and fry so its literally in almost every aquarium of mine

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you plant hornwort it will shed any needles close to the substrate. Floating it will not. You can wrap small pieces of plant anchor around it to make it sink slightly so its not at the surface. I weave it in and out of rocks like holey rock, or wrap it around driftwood etc. Its not the most beautiful plant but in large bunches its very beneficial for water quality and fry so its literally in almost every aquarium of mine
I love how it looks actually so I am glad it grows quickly.
Yes it is Hornwort.

Here is mine, borrowed from a local pond (click on image for larger size):

View attachment 308844
Beautiful tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom