Is This Hornwort?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Lchi87, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

313d51669f7d9895aa7f09eecf5f7d0b.jpg

Came with a shrimp order so they had something to cling to while in transit. I wasn't sure if it was hornwort since the hornwort I have had experience with had softer needles that shed at the drop of a hat. These needles are stiff and feel almost plastic...Thought it was an artificial plant at first but it's got very fast growth so far.

2. meyowmeowValued MemberMember

yep! looks like hornwort to me. It hardly ever sheds needles if it is properly cared for - at least in my experience. It does grow fast and I love having it floating in my aquariums!

3. vernonRSANew MemberMember

In a river adjacent to where I stay there was a bloom of duckweed which has since disappeared but has been replaced a rampant growth of hornwort which is clogging the river. Its beautiful once washed off and placed in an aquarium.

4. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Thank you both! I do really enjoy how it looks, I have it pinned to some rocks as of now. The shedding hornwort belonged to someone else for the record!

5. meyowmeowValued MemberMember

It's great for keeping the algae down too - tends to out-compete for resources :D It might look a little more 'stringy' from being pinned down. I've found the ones I pin down tend to get long and stringy and the ones I let float get a thicker more bunchy look to them - could be why it looks a little different than others you've seen. Either way it seems to be doing well for you :D

6. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

You know, I was letting it float for a bit but being so close to the light was making it brown :(

7. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

I actually use a plant weight to weigh it down, placed in the middle of the strand, making a u shape, will post a pic later.
    I've found hat when grown in warmer tanks the needles are thinner. In my cold tank the needles are super thick :)

8. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Oh thanks for the tip! I have plant weights but I use them to weigh down veggies for the plecos LOL. I don't have any cold tanks unfortunately....the coldest tank I run is my RCS tank at 70ish degrees... Is that cold enough?

9. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Totally... my cold is around 71... notice the change in hornwort at about 78.

10. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

If you plant hornwort it will shed any needles close to the substrate. Floating it will not. You can wrap small pieces of plant anchor around it to make it sink slightly so its not at the surface. I weave it in and out of rocks like holey rock, or wrap it around driftwood etc. Its not the most beautiful plant but in large bunches its very beneficial for water quality and fry so its literally in almost every aquarium of mine

11. Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

Yes it is Hornwort.

Here is mine, borrowed from a local pond (click on image for larger size):

Cube 30.01.10 (4) - Copy.JPG

12. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

I love how it looks actually so I am glad it grows quickly. :)
    Beautiful tank!

13. Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

Thanks, the Bettas think so too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice