20 Gallon Tank Is this heater faulty?

jamesde

This heater isn’t more than around 5 or 6 weeks old and over the past week or so it’s developed misting/condensation inside the glass.

is this normal or should I take it back?

StarGirl

They do that once in awhile. Just make sure to have a glass thermometer handy to make sure it is heating correctly.

jamesde

StarGirl said:
They do that once in awhile. Just make sure to have a glass thermometer handy to make sure it is heating correctly.
I use a digital thermometer and have noticed it’s starting to fluctuate a bit more than it used to. Maybe it’s because the weather and therefore room temperature is fluctuating more at the moment and playing with the tank water temp more ‍♂

StarGirl

Could be....just keep an eye on it

RayClem

I have had heaters develop condensation, but normally only after they have been in use for a while and the rubber seals have started to harden. I have never had condensation that soon. If you can get your money back, I would return it for another one. If you cannot get your money back, I would suggest getting a new one as soon as you are able to do so and keep this one as a spare.

You should always have a spare heater. If you need to quarantine new fish, you will need some type of container and a heater. If you have a sick fish and need to put it in a hospital tank for treatment, you will need a heater. When your primary heater fails (believe me, all heaters fail sooner or later) you will need a spare heater to put in the than until you can get a new one. You do not want a heater to fail after stores close on a cold winter night. Thus, everyone needs a spare heater.

In my larger tanks, I like to run two slightly undersized heaters. That way, if one heater fails in the off position, the tank won't get too cold and if one heater fails in the on position, it won't get hot enough to kill the fish. Heaters are a lot less expensive than a tank full of fish.

Redshark1

Back to the shop!

jamesde

Went and bought a new heater today. This is the one I removed which now has a clump of a powdery type substance at the bottom. I’ll take this one back to the shop tomorrow and get a replacement as a back up!

many thanks for your help!

RayClem

jamesde said:
Went and bought a new heater today. This is the one I removed which now has a clump of a powdery type substance at the bottom. I’ll take this one back to the shop tomorrow and get a replacement as a back up!

many thanks for your help!
The white stuff at the bottom is fiberglass that was put in there to keep the ceramic heating element from bumping against the glass. That is not a defect.

jamesde

RayClem said:
The white stuff at the bottom is fiberglass that was put in there to keep the ceramic heating element from bumping against the glass. That is not a defect.
Oh ok, pretty sure it wasn’t there before but I could very well be wrong. Cheers for the info. I’ll still return it as it’s definitely having an issue with condensation.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom