Is this hair algae?

saddlebagsoph

Reaction score
My java ferns have been sprouting new plants but now also have this growing on them (see pictures). At first I just thought it was more rhizomes growing but its starting to look gross and not like the other plants. Is it hair algae? I have tried to do some research but have not found much and do not know what to do about it.
1591034615873.png

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It looks like it. You can use a toothbrush to remove it. How long is your tank light on for?

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes that is hair algae! I had a horrible problem with it in my tank around the time it was done cycling. I still have a tiny problem and just clean it off my plants as soon as I see it. Initially, I did a black out for a few days (to try and kill what was left after I cleaned it- I just put a dark towel over the tank and left the back part by the filter open so air could still get in) and then I have slowly built up my lighting from 6 hours a day to 7-8 to see how it goes. I also got some algae cleaner snails too. I think my main issue was too much light.
I know sometimes they say it's a water chemistry issue as well.

I also used a tooth brush to clean off the leaves too.

OP
S

saddlebagsoph

Reaction score
The toothbrush worked really well! Thank you for the help! I had been leaving my light on for about 8 hours every day since I have plants but I have reduced it dramatically until it seems like the algae is under control. They are all low light plants anyway so I think they should be fine with less light. Unfortunately, I noticed little white worms everywhere after cleaning the tank when I worked on the algae... so I guess I will be starting a new thread about that in a few min...

OP
S

saddlebagsoph

Reaction score
Update on the worms: I noticed them when I turned the light on right before I posted my previous comment and just checked on my tank after about 15 min of reading around and they've mostly disappeared! There were a ton floating around in the water and some on the glass but now there are just a few on the glass. I'm guessing my fish could finally see them with the light on and ate most of them! I think they're harmless and shouldn't need their own thread haha!

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
saddlebagsoph said:
Update on the worms: I noticed them when I turned the light on right before I posted my previous comment and just checked on my tank after about 15 min of reading around and they've mostly disappeared! There were a ton floating around in the water and some on the glass but now there are just a few on the glass. I'm guessing my fish could finally see them with the light on and ate most of them! I think they're harmless and shouldn't need their own thread haha!
Yah I have had them in mine too, you can vacuum up some but the fish will eat them as well. I've heard they sort of just appear with a little excess food and what not.
Also glad to hear the algae is behaving! :)

New Threads