Is This Guppy Sick? Please Help.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Corydora Pro, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

Hello,
    A few days after a water change ago I noticed my one Guppy just sitting at the bottom of the tank. I noticed him doing the same thing the next day and today I saw him doing the same thing then he was standing strait up on his tail trying to swim. The guppy does not visually have anything wrong with him. The guppy is now swimming at the water surface. I am quite concerned. I have melafix and primafix on hand. What should I do? Thanks.
    347b0f8c8851757bf3936a64de9b06d8.jpg

2. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

Just saw some white fungus on his one fin. I'm going to quarentine him and treat him with a API fungus medicine.

3. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

Does that sound good? Anyone??

4. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like he could have some kind of swim bladder issue apart from the fungus from what you said. NEVER use Pimafix for anything. Plan sounds good.

5. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

Thanks

6. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

What size is your regular tank, and what's in it?

7. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Definitely QT him. When guppies sit at the bottom other than night time it usually ends bad. Often there are no visible symptoms but you have fungus so take a shot at treating it.

8. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

My main tank is 20 gallons, and has 6 guppies, 6 corries, and and 4 amano shrimp. My main tank parameters are:
    0ppm amonia
    0ppm nitite
    20ppm nitrate (currently working to reduce this)

I haven't use my QT tank in a few months because my fish rarely get sick. My problem is that I seem to have lost my nitrogen cycle. I have:
    0.25ppm amonia
    0ppm nitite
    0ppm nitrate
    I cannot wait for the cycle to get started before adding in the guppy, I don't want any other fish to catch this. I'm thinking I will pick up a AquaClear amonia remover to put in my filter while I am treating the fish to remove any amonia the fish may produce. There is no carbon in the amonia remover so it shouldn't impact the medicin.
    What do you guys think?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  9. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

Just picked up the AquaClear amonia remover insert as well as Seachem Prime. Hopefully the combination of these will keep the water safe for the fish.

10. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like a good plan to me.

11. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

Thanks for your advice!

12. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

It should help until the nitrite spike. It's tough to do enough water changes during that part of the cycle. Impossible might be a better word. I have about a 90% fish survival rate during cycle with the rest appearing extremely healthy. Prime is good stuff IMO. In the mean time you can treat your guppy and see how it goes. He isn't going to spike ammonia and set off a quick cycle.

13. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

Okay, sounds good. I'm gonna add in a fluval benifical bacteria supplement aswell.

14. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Watch your water readings. The last thing your fish needs is for you to launch a cycle on him while he is already sick. Is the goal to treat him or cycle a fish tank? He doesn't need to endure an ammonia or nitrite spike.

15. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

The goal is to treat him. Any suggestions on avoiding a cycle?

16. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

So I have fully prepared the QT tank. I emptied it out, thoroughly cleaned everything down including the sand substrate. I then out everything back in including water treated with Seachem Prime. I added in some API aquarium salt as well to help my guppy heal. I also bought enough of AquaClear amonia remover insert to treat an aquarium 5x the size. I am going to add the fish in tomorrow and I will be checking the parameters daily for any amonia, nitrite or nitrate.

17. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Nice? Random question, but did you get that guppy in the pic (the sick one) from a PetSmart? I had one from there that looked literally the EXACT same. Kinda freaked for a minute, haha.

18. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

No, I got him from my LFS.

19. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

That's insane. Nice fish, though. Sucks if you lose him. And yes, I was that guy buying horrible PetSmart fish until I found my LFS.

20. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

Update:

The sick Guppy is now swimming around the tank, but he is swimming on a 60° angle. Is this okay?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice