Is this guppy ready to give birth?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Velidia, Nov 26, 2012.

1. VelidiaNew MemberMember

Being that I have never had pregnant guppies before I'm wondering if it is too soon for me to put this guppy in a fry trap? She is the most squared off looking of my females and I'm just wondering if she is squared off enough? As she is a new addition I have no idea how long she has been pregnant and thus have no time line to work with.

(I stuck her in the trap to get some clearer pictures and video)
    Ottawa-20121126-00314.jpg

And this is a video of her swimming in the trap to give a better idea of her size. (You can see some of my other guppies swimming in the background love those little guys :D)

If you have any idea how far from birth she is I'd love to know I have zero experience in this area.

2. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

She looks ready but she will hold if she is stressed or the conditions are not right. She can go today or a few days from today they choose when they like to give birth.

3. OP
    OP
    V

VelidiaNew MemberMember

Thanks! I'll probably leave her in the trap then even tho she may be a bit more stressed. She shares a tank with a very fat platy with an appetite for fry :p

4. OP
    OP
    V

VelidiaNew MemberMember

Will she eventually become comfortable enough to give birth in there?

5. jokerrkValued MemberMember

How can you tell if she is pregnant? I have 3 and would like to figure if mine are pregnant or not as well

6. OP
    OP
    V

VelidiaNew MemberMember

Just look at her distended tummy and giant gravid spot. There are tons of sites that will tell you the signs of a pregnant guppy and chances are if she is with a male she is pregnant!

7. Nate the GreatNew MemberMember

Hey, I have a guppy that looks about like that, does that mean it will give birth soon?
    It is really fat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice