Is This Guppy Pregnant?

1. R

Rolly_frog Initiate Member

Very new to being a guppy mum, and I got a couple females (4 females & 2 males) from the local pet store. I always thought they were kept seperate from the males but this lady is rather fat looking? Could she be pregnant? If so what will I need to do to keep them safe/ healthy? I won’t be able to keep them in a seperate tank if she does have babies :/ but our tank is 250L so I’m not worried about space just that there isn’t many hiding places in the tank?

Attached Files:

2. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Shes pregnant

3. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

She's pregnant, and it looks like it may only be a few more days 'till she gives birth! Congrats. You will notice that here stomach goes slightly square shaped a bit before the birth.

4. OP
    OP
    R

that soon? I don’t even have plants set up for the fry!

5. Discus-Tang

In my experience the fry get eaten regardless of whether there is plants or not. Your best bet is to just take the fry out and put them in a separate tank.

6. OP
    OP
    R

The only other tank I have has my beta & corys in it :/ if I set up a new one would it have enough time to cycle? Could I maybe speed it up by using the water from the guppy tank in it?

7. Discus-Tang

You could a quick cycle by adding media from one of your filters to the fry tank filter.

8. OP
    OP
    R

Thank you so much! The people at the pet shop couldn’t tell me a dang thing, it’s nice to get actually advice!

9. Discus-Tang

This is unrelated, but how big is your betta/ cory tank and how many cories are there?

10. Discus-Tang

That's fish stores for you!

11. OP
    OP
    R

38L one male beta, 4 Cory’s, it’s also got a bunch of plants growing in there and a golden apple snail

12. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Move your cories to your 250l. Your tank is too small for cories. Also get at least 2 more cories

13. OP
    OP
    R

Im
    I’m going to as soon as I get a couple plants in the tank for them to hide in (this week) and again I relied on info from the pet shop originally had one Cory by himself because they said he’d be better than a pleco, but he looked so sad so I did a bunch of research and found they like groups. Bit angry that the pet shop are telling people it’s okay to just have one so I went and got more and they’re heaps happier, just cramped (I’m doing water changes twice a week until I transfer them)