Is This Guppy A Female?

jtl

this guppy is very fat. Why is that so? Do you think this guppy might be a female? You won't probably be able to tell becase of the bad quality

1. I was told that all the guppies I bought was males
2. the guppie is not constipated becasue I see it pooping
3. Ive been doing some research how male/female guppies look like and all my guppies are males based on that info
4. I once saw one of the other guppies chase this guppy for maybe an hour, and during this chase I saw the guppie doing mating dance towards it. Can/does male guppies do the mating dance towards other males or not?

david1978

Guppies will do the breeding dance to a snail. I don't think they know any better. Lol. Looks male to me. Maybe a little over fed but that's about all.

jtl

david1978 said:
Guppies will do the breeding dance to a snail. I don't think they know any better. Lol. Looks male to me. Maybe a little over fed but that's about all.
that's so weird!

RainBetta

Definitely male

Yale Kim

male

NikkiD078

Male

emeraldking

They''ve all given you the correct answer already...
But yes, males do tend to chase other males as well... Pretty normal behavior...

Tez

Hello emeraldking I have 10 male guppies with other fish and my tank is males only and yours is definitely a male as other members have stated also.

Mine chase one another all the time, it's like they get a kick out of doing it but nothing to worry about

emeraldking

It's basically a hierarchy thing...

Tez

emeraldking said:
It's basically a hierarchy thing...
Well I have a few like that and they look heavy on the stomach part.

jtl

He chase and does this mating dance towards this specific orange guppy alll the time. He literally won't leave him alone. I just noticed this morning that one of the other guppies bite/attacked his rear fin while he did the mating dance but he didn't care about that and just kept dancing. His fin will get destroyed, won't it?

Tez

jtl said:
He chase and does this mating dance towards this specific orange guppy alll the time. He literally won't leave him alone. I just noticed this morning that one of the other guppies bite/attacked his rear fin while he did the mating dance but he didn't care about that and just kept dancing. His fin will get destroyed, won't it?
I have a white one that chases the others and I've watched him he never bites I think he does it for the sport of it and when I first got guppies I brought two the same and the one became a bit domineering and I noticed then the tail start to become torn on the one but when more was added his behaviour stopped and the other one is ok now but it can lead to infection if fins get torn can you take it out and if you don't mind me asking do you have endler guppies in there?...plus I had API stress coat to my water besides Zyme, the stress coat puts a coating on their bodies and helps protect them.

jtl

Tez said:
I have a white one that chases the others and I've watched him he never bites I think he does it for the sport of it and when I first got guppies I brought two the same and the one became a bit domineering and I noticed then the tail start to become torn on the one but when more was added his behaviour stopped and the other one is ok now but it can lead to infection if fins get torn can you take it out and if you don't mind me asking do you have endler guppies in there?...plus I had API stress coat to my water besides Zyme, the stress coat puts a coating on their bodies and helps protect them.
Oh. Then I will keep track of his fin and take him out if the fin starts to torn. I will add shrimp and neon tetras later, do you think that will make it better or do I need more guppies specific?
I don't have any endlers guppies.

Tez

jtl said:
Oh. Then I will keep track of his fin and take him out if the fin starts to torn. I will add shrimp and neon tetras later, do you think that will make it better or do I need more guppies specific?
I don't have any endlers guppies.
HI jtl, don't add endler guppies to normal fan tailed guppies as they're an hybrid and they attack larger fish and made my guppies lives miserable I brought 4 and said they would be ok, worse mistake I did and all 4 got removed.
Yes I would remove it if it gets worse because of protection with your other fish..how many guppies do you have already? neon's and bamboo and ghost shrimps work fine with them also plus in my tank I have 3 Albino gold algae eater fish and when they get bigger they will be removed and get replaced with young again because as they get larger they become territorial.

My tanks as 29 fish in a 22 gallon and apparently I was told up to 30 would be ok with out over crowding the tanks but since joining have found out different but some of fish will stop small and I have a spare tank if some get to big.

My combination in my tank and they get on well together plus a video for you to see

3 Albino gold sucker fish, 10 Guppies, 1 Neon Tetra, 3 Black neon tetra, 2 Red tip rasbora, 3 Glass bloodfin Tetra, 3 Copper harleguin rasbora, 2 sparkling gourami, 1 bamboo shrimp, 1 Ghost shrimp.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom