is this good news or bad???

dvc_r

I'm not even sure if I'm in the right subject forum...

I just finished cleaning out my Rena XP3 canister filter. After cleaning each basket and all the media in them, I poured out all the water from the canister down the sink. Since I have a heavily planted tank, lots of "stuff" came out including something wiggling around!

My baby Bristol Nose was in there! I have NO idea how he could have squeezed between the intake slots! I have no idea how long he's been in there, the last time I cleaned the filter was the week before Christmas!

So I guess the end result, saving the little guys life is "good" news,!

jenste

omg - - this is very good news!!!

Can't wait to see a picture of the little guy!

ilovemyfishies

To prevent this, you could put a pantyhose over the part of the filter that sucks up the water, that can prevent fish from being sucked into the filter. I'm happy your fish is OK

toosie

I am amazed this little guy lived through this, he must be a real little trooper!

Just a heads up, as it's not usually a good idea to clean all of the media in a filter system all at once, your tank could go through a minI cycle. Just keep and eye on your water parameters for the next week or so and be prepared to do extra water changes should levels spike.

dvc_r

Thanks for the heads up toosie, but when I clean my filters, I mix ro water and tank water together, shake my bioballs around to clear any "muck" and then squeeze my 20 and 30 ppI foam a few dozen times in that water, put it all back together and never have to worry about killing off any Nitrosomonas or Nitrobacter bacteria, so the tanks never go though a minI cycle.

I have 7 discus in the tank so I take extra precautions to avoid just such a thing!

toosie

You are a very smart fellow! It always concerns me when I hear about a complete filter clean-up, so I am very glad to hear you have it cased.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom