is this good news or bad???

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not even sure if I'm in the right subject forum...

I just finished cleaning out my Rena XP3 canister filter. After cleaning each basket and all the media in them, I poured out all the water from the canister down the sink. Since I have a heavily planted tank, lots of "stuff" came out including something wiggling around!

My baby Bristol Nose was in there! I have NO idea how he could have squeezed between the intake slots! I have no idea how long he's been in there, the last time I cleaned the filter was the week before Christmas!

So I guess the end result, saving the little guys life is "good" news,!

jenste

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
omg - - this is very good news!!!

Can't wait to see a picture of the little guy!

ilovemyfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
To prevent this, you could put a pantyhose over the part of the filter that sucks up the water, that can prevent fish from being sucked into the filter. Im happy your fish is OK

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am amazed this little guy lived through this, he must be a real little trooper!

Just a heads up, as it's not usually a good idea to clean all of the media in a filter system all at once, your tank could go through a mini cycle. Just keep and eye on your water parameters for the next week or so and be prepared to do extra water changes should levels spike.

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the heads up toosie, but when I clean my filters, I mix ro water and tank water together, shake my bioballs around to clear any "muck" and then squeeze my 20 and 30 ppi foam a few dozen times in that water, put it all back together and never have to worry about killing off any Nitrosomonas or Nitrobacter bacteria, so the tanks never go though a mini cycle.

I have 7 discus in the tank so I take extra precautions to avoid just such a thing!

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are a very smart fellow! It always concerns me when I hear about a complete filter clean-up, so I am very glad to hear you have it cased.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom