Is this good enough to put my betta in?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Deesk06, Jul 21, 2015.

1. D

Deesk06 Valued Member Member

So! I decided to get my Betta his own tank. I know I have only been cycling for a day. But I took over plants and substrate and water from my established tank. And the reading are in the picture. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437504790.109679.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437504801.831121.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes looks like your tank is cycled.

3. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

+1 on dom. cycled!

4. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Lucky you! Congrats :D

5. OP
    OP
    D

Is it okay if I put my gravel from my established tank behind my filter insert? This way it is always there but incase with the good bacteria? I have it sitting in a stocking now, but I wanna take that out!

6. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

If gravel, plants, and water were taken from the other tank, there is no way to tell how much cycled bacteria was transferred. The only way to tell if it is cycled is to put ammonia in there and see if it gets processed. You said you had been cycling for a day...just curious if ammonia was put in there and then processed to zero?

7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If there are no fish in the tank & you haven't added ammonia or a bottled bacteria & you used water from your main tank then your readings will be the same as they would be if you'd tested your main tank.
    As Gvilleguy said, add some ammonia & see how quickly it gets processed.

8. OP
    OP
    D

Well, last night before bed I added food to spike it. And when I did the readings it was down to zero

9. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Gvilleguy, that's a brilliant idea! Why guess when you can know for sure.

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Fish food is unreliable way of measuring ammonia ppm.

11. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

I think food would not have spiked ammonia that quickly. So I don't think you have a good reading yet on the cycling status.

12. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I doubt the food would have broken down enough overnight to produce much, if any ammonia.
    To speed up the cycle take some media from your main tank filter & put it in the new filter, for just one Betta there should be enough BB but monitor the water closely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice