Is this fully stocked, overstocked, or could I add more fish?

Pleco-Owner123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I am upgrading my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon and I'm thinking about stocking ideas. Here is the one I like out of all of them and I think I'm going to do.

5 female bettas
5 zebra danios (possibly leopard or long fin)
4 panda corys

Could I add any more corys or danios? Or should I take out something? I would like a fully stocked tank! Oh, and the tank will have a 50 watt heater, an airstone, and a 5-20 gallon Aqua clear filter. So is this good?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh dear. I'm sorry, but IMO, you're 5 bettas over stocked.
Perhaps you can find something more suitable to go with your danios than bettas.
Betta sororities are a hit or miss situation, add in danios and you've got trouble.

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would not add 5 female bettas, as even though they are females, they can be aggressive to each other. Unless they are a wild type of betta, you should not add 5 into a 20 gallon tank, and even then, that might be sketchy. What else would you like? Or do you just want to up the schools of cories and danios? You might be able to add a dwarf or honey gouramI if you'd like. The only problem might be conflicting temperature requirements and danios might stress the gourami.

Pleco-Owner123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If I can't add the female bettas maybe get 3 more danios and 1 dwarf gourami?? Would that work? I think I would like to up the school of danios more than the corys.

Pleco-Owner123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Or maybe I could take out the female bettas, and add 5 more danios and one male betta. Would that work?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most bettas don't make good community fish. If you want a betta, I'd suggest a 5 gallon tank of it's own.

Pleco-Owner123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a betta in a 5.5 gallon tank already. So what could I add to the 5 danios and 5 corys, besides more of them?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How about some glo fish? They're colorful danios.
I understand danios can be pretty nippy.
Wait to see what others who keep them have to say.

Pleco-Owner123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lucy said:
How about some glo fish? They're colorful danios.
I understand danios can be pretty nippy.
Wait to see what others who keep them have to say.
I would love to keep glofish but sadly they are expensive at my LFS. It stinks.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bettas like slow fish. Danios are hyper. Maybe you could add another small schooling fish like guppies

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pleco-Owner123 said:
I would love to keep glofish but sadly they are expensive at my LFS. It stinks.
They're expensive here too.
I've got some pretty cool colorful decorations that would go great with glo fish.
Ahh, maybe some day! lol

Pleco-Owner123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lol! Yeah, maybe some day! The fish at my LFS are 6 dollars each, and for school of little tiny fish, I'm not paying 36 dollars! Maybe I will keep guppies. That's a good idea..... So maybe 6 danios, 5 guppies, and 4 corys?

Pleco-Owner123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So like I was just thinking 3 female bettas, 4 pygmy corys and 5 guppies. Would that work? I was told that 3 is not enough for a pecking order but maybe it would work?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Really, there are more members not have sororities work than do. You would need to keep 3 5 gal tanks on standby if it goes wrong to separate them or someone could get hurt or worse...

Danios do well with little neon tetras (boring I know, but they provide colour, I love 'em!), or any tetra type, that's what I've kept them with before. I do have them with a honey gouramI just now and seems to be doing very well so far, but it has only been a few days so I will not back my recommendation or suggest it just yet...

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm one of the few very lucky ones to have kept a betta sorority tank. I highly advise you against it for a few reasons:

you can't have more than just the bettas in there...

you can't have just 3 bettas.... if they are to share space, you really need at least 8 to eliminate the pecking order....

because it's not an easy tank to keep successfully, I would advise that you get a whole lot more experience keeping fish under your belt before you even consider it again.

As for danios, they are truly psychotic little fishies and are very nippy.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Monmouth said:
Bettas like slow fish. Danios are hyper. Maybe you could add another small schooling fish like guppies
Danios and guppies together are bad news in my opinion. Danios are nippy, mean little fish (at least mine were). They ate the tail off my guppy, and I ended up rehoming them. Personally, if it were my 20, I would skip the danios and skip the bettas.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree, no danios, no bettas. and no guppies! unless you want to deal with lots of fry! well I have a 20 gallon tall and I have 7 harlequin rasboras, 6 galaxy rasboras, 1 honey gourami, 1 male endler, 3 corys and 2 nerite snails. the rasboras are really nice, peaceful and they have colored up very nicely.

I think if I got a black background it would really show them off....as well as the honey. you could think about rasboras. since they don't cause trouble, there are more options as to what you could put with them.

ps. pygmy corys need to be in a really large group, or they'll die off.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So is this instead of the 10 to 15 gallon upgrade in your other thread?

Pleco-Owner123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jaysee said:
So is this instead of the 10 to 15 gallon upgrade in your other thread?
Yeah because I am probably buying it off of craigslist and I can't find any 15 gallon ones but there is a lot of 20 gallons so I thought I would go with that.

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can take the risk.. Of the female betta as my lfs put all tye female in a tank

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads