Is this flashing? How should I proceed?

swimmingslowly

Hi all,

I have a 29g tank with 9 Cardinal Tetras, 10 Pseudomugil Gertrudae and 6 Hillstream loaches (Sewellia Lineolata). The tank is kept at 75-76, right now readings are 0/0/5-10 (API test strip has some pink but my master kit says 0, possibly from all of the plants?)

My gertrudae have been in the tank for a little over a week and I’m noticing some flashing. I last did a water change on Wednesday, everyone is eating well and I haven’t seen any concerning poop. Could this be from an external parasite? My only other guess is that I have a power head on one side that puts out a lot of bubbles (they carry over onto the other side) so maybe those could be itching them? Just throwing it out there.

I do have Paracleanse on hand but last time I used it in a QT it destroyed my cycle. I’ve heard PraziPro will not do this, I’m just concerned about using medication with my loaches :( any suggestions will be appreciated!

Apologies for the video quality.

swimmingslowly

Update: I just did a full water test and my pH is around 7.7, usually it’s around 7.2ish. Could this be the cause? I’m not sure what would have caused it.

swimmingslowly

Another update: Went to my LFS and was told to try PraziPro. I’ll see what happens!

Convoluted77

swimmingslowly said:
Update: I just did a full water test and my pH is around 7.7, usually it’s around 7.2ish. Could this be the cause? I’m not sure what would have caused it.
Yep that's flashing.Flashing just indicates that your fish is irritated by "something".It doesnt necessarily mean your fish has parasites or gill flukes or whatev but if it does have them prazipro should work.Ph swings can cause flashing too and sometimes even something small can irritate fish a bit.My white clouds and cories uses to flash a bit(usually a day or two before water change day)and I found out by experimenting that if I just added about 10% more minerals to my water change water that flashing completely stopped.

Fisch

Convoluted77 said:
Yep that's flashing.Flashing just indicates that your fish is irritated by "something".It doesnt necessarily mean your fish has parasites or gill flukes or whatev but if it does have them prazipro should work.Ph swings can cause flashing too and sometimes even something small can irritate fish a bit.My white clouds and cories uses to flash a bit(usually a day or two before water change day)and I found out by experimenting that if I just added about 10% more minerals to my water change water that flashing completely stopped.
What kind of minerals are you adding?
My cories flash here and there, but there does not seem to be disease.

Convoluted77

Fisch said:
What kind of minerals are you adding?
My cories flash here and there, but there does not seem to be disease.
I just use salty shrimp gh/kh+.In my case I just raised my gh from 6 to 7.5ish and kh from 3 to 4ish.Not really sure exactally why this worked.My wcmm and cories had been in the tank for 4 or 5 months with no other signs of problems so I just started trying small changes to see if I could get any good results.

swimmingslowly

Convoluted77 said:
Thanks for the response! I could just be imagining it, but from using the PraziPro yesterday everyone in the tank seems a lot more calm!

swimmingslowly

Does anyone have recommendations for water changes and dosing? I’m reading that some people do a water change on day 3 then redose and some wait til day 7, do a water change, then redose. The redosing is to kill any fluke eggs?

swimmingslowly

UPDATE: It seems that quite a few of the fish in my tank are all exhibiting flashing. It seems that the PraziPro didn't do anything, so I'm wondering if they have a parasite that needs a different med; the only reason I'm thinking that it may be a parasite now is because before I was only seeing the flashing in one or two fish.

I'm just nervous to treat with meds having the loaches in there. Any advice? Should I use medicated food?

Top Bottom