Is This Flame Moss?

whang

Hi, I am new here and I am hoping that you guys can help me a bit.
I purchased a lot of Flame Moss off this guy and he sent me a lot of moss.
I think it is flame moss as he said but it doesn't look like the nice pictures I've seen of Flame Moss.

Can you guys help me determine if this is indeed Flame Moss and if it is, what I need to do to make it look like the nice flames that I see on the internet? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190518_170513.jpg
    20190518_170513.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 20190521_223054.jpg
    20190521_223054.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 107

whang

HI kalililily - thanks for the input and after looking at more pics of java moss - it does look like it might be it. However, I never had java moss this long so I thought it might be something else. Thanks for letting me know!
I should probably trim it right?

WillR1496

I have flame moss and java moss. What you have is definitely not flame moss. I was also given a ton of the flame moss. I created a very small moss wall with some mesh and I have more sitting in a jar.

kallililly1973

HI kalililily - thanks for the input and after looking at more pics of java moss - it does look like it might be it. However, I never had java moss this long so I thought it might be something else. Thanks for letting me know!
I should probably trim it right?
Welcome, I don't usually trim I just take it and rewrap it around whatever I have it wrapped up on when it starts to get loose and running away on me.

kallililly1973

I have flame moss and java moss. What you have is definitely not flame moss. I was also given a ton of the flame moss. I created a very small moss wall with some mesh and I have more sitting in a jar.
Do you have pics of your flame moss. From what i've seen its like its reaching for the surface making a fire-like effect... hence the name

WillR1496

Do you have pics of your flame moss. From what i've seen its like its reaching for the surface making a fire-like effect... hence the name

That's exactly what it's supposed to look like. I just planted mine a week ago so it's in the process of forming itself. But its the only moss that grows vertically..at least from what I read.

Gavius

Out of curiosity, are you gluing those rocks to your aquarium glass?

Fanatic

Out of curiosity, are you gluing those rocks to your aquarium glass?

Those are porous rocks that float, and they are tied down by clear fishing line, you can find them on Amazon.

whang

yeah, they are like volcano rocks that float. since they float to the top, you tie them down w/ fishing line so that they look like avatar rocks. you can tie moss on them too to make it look ****. google "aquascaping" and you will see some nice examples.

as for the other help, thanks. I'm guessing this is java moss and that they grew a lot so need some trimming and I should just expand it to the other side.

Thanks for all the input.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Adam510
Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views
KngVanhorn
Replies