Is This Fish Tb? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by DawnZ, Mar 15, 2019.

1. DawnZ

DawnZNew MemberMember

I have had my 3 aquariums for almost 2 years now and had on and off deaths. I currently had a pretty drastic die-off involving all 3 tanks. I am pretty sure I know where the problem started but before taking any drastic measures I want to confirm what I am dealing with.

Only thing I have done to all 3 tanks at the same time was I added some CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate that I ordered online from Petsmart. I followed the directions and did not replace all the substrate at once in any of the tanks.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? tank 1: 29g 2&3 5.5g
    How long has the tank been running? 1,2&3 2 years
    Does it have a filter?Yes. 29g has undergravel and SunSun HW-303B with UV, tank 2 sponge filter, tank 3 10g hang-on back filter
    Does it have a heater?Yes
    What is the water temperature?80degrees
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)Tank 1: Had about 30 platy, 1 snail, and 1 shrimp (have about 20 platy left rest of tank died). Tank 2 had about 15 ghost shrimp (all died). Tank 3 had 1 Male betta (died) and 1 shrimp.

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? About once every month or two depending on parameters
    How much of the water do you change? 10-25%
    What do you use to treat your water? Quick start, Aquarium Salt, Stress-Coat+
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? API test sticks
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 1: 3 (was 0) 2&3: 0
    Nitrite: 1: 0.5 (was 0) 2&3: 0
    Nitrate: 1,2&3: 80
    pH: 1,2&3: 8.5

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? twice daily
    How much do you feed your fish? 1: 1/4 teaspoon Thera-A+ and 1 elive algea wafer. 2: very small amount of crushed Thera-A+. 3: pinch of Thera-A+
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? New Life Spectrum
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 6 months to 2 years
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1.5 months ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Platy: wasting, sores, flaking scales, hiding. Shrimp: all died overnight. Betta: acting lethargic, wasting, laying on the bottom of the tank before he died.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? On third round of E-Mycin. One round of All-in-one remedy. 3 doses of Kanamycin. 1 round of Nitrofurantin
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? All were active and swimming.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now). Tank 1: Added about 5 handfuls of new substrate mixed in around live plants around Jan. 25th. Noticed some more hiding and hanging out at the bottom of the tank within a week. Had some all-in-one remedy so treated with that. Shortly after that had a fish with an open sore on it's belly, Males started wasting, and one of my females started having flaking scales on her tail. Took pictures and went to local petstore. Was suggested I treat with e-mycin. Turned off canister filter per directions but left on under-gravel and removed carbon. Seemed to stop the progression of the flaking scales but the males continued to waste and dye. Since it stopped but did not resolve the tail issue was recommended I treat again with e-mycin so I did a second round. Then started noticing what looked like missing scales on other fish. Did some research and based on what I found it sounded like a course of kanamycin and nitrofurantin would be recommended. So I treated with those to no effect other than having a yellow tank. Flaking started getting worse so decided was on the right path with the e-mycin so started that again. This morning found a fish with a weird wound that looks like the pictures that go with TB. This whole time the males have continued to die off. My male to female ratio was off so I suspect it is because they were more stressed due to competition? My water parameters are now starting to get out of line because of all the treatments and not having the canister filter on and the loss of most of my plants.

Tank 2: Added about a handful of substrate. 2 days later all the shrimp died.

Tank 3: Added about 2 handfuls of substrate mixed in around plants. Within 3 weeks the Betta died. Armano Shrimp is still hanging in there.

If it is TB most sites are recommending euthanizing all fish even if they aren't showing symptoms and completely taking down the tank, bleaching it, waiting a bit, and then starting from scratch. I have fry in Tank 1 and some fish that are not yet showing symptoms but have obviously been exposed to whatever is going through the tank.

Could really use advise as to best course of action before I take any extreme measures.

Dawn

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

-

2. WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Can you repost the pictures? I can't see them

3. OP
    OP
    DawnZ

DawnZNew MemberMember

Sorry first time posting in a forum. I went through and circled the problem spots too since I was reposting them.

I have 3 pictures of platy1 showing her progression of flaking scales by her tail. Order is platy1_1, platy1, then platy1_2. The other 3 photos of the 2 platy were platy1_1.jpgplaty1.jpgPlaty1_2.jpgplaty2_2.jpgplaty2.jpgplaty3.jpg taken today.

I also realized I didn't mention but think it has nothing to do with the current situation. My blue mystery snail (died at the beginning of these problems) had babies about 3 months ago that are in a number of the pictures. Stubborn buggers, all the rounds of antibiotics haven't wiped them out.