Is This Fish Suffering From Shock? If So How Can I Treat It?

Jim2195

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One of my month old or so baby common goldfish started acting like this today, its nine tankmates which are all also baby fish, are all fine, just this particular one isn’t doing well. I’m guessing it’s temperature shock because I was doing a water change and the new water for the tank came from the water hose outside, and the hot California heat had warmed the water. I did put some ice in the water to cool it before pouring it in the tank.
After noticing this fish wasn’t doing well I moved it to the tank next to it, which has water temperature about the same as the goldfish fry tank before the water change. It is doing a bit better now.
Do you guys know how to treat it? I need responses asap!

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
not sure if there's anything you can do if its temp related.

i use the outside water hose too. its black and heats up the water really quickly. i let it run until the water comes out cold. there's instances of children getting burned by being sprayed from the water hose during the summer.

Pat93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it’s is a temperature problem it is important to not act suddenly and any changes you make from here on out should be gradual.
When you have a fish showing symptoms of anything if you move it at all it should be to quarantine otherwise just leave it in and treat the whole tank because any fish in the tank could have the same sickness and not show symptoms
You didn’t specify wether the tank you moved him to was empty or not which is the only reason I say that If you need further help actually diagnosing the fish then it would be helpful to have more information. (Things like what is the actual temperature of the water because words like warmer and colder are quite relative)
I suggest going to the disease section of the forum and filling out the emergency template if you are truly concerned. If you can’t find it just post here and I will paste it over for you.

Jim2195

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it’s is a temperature problem it is important to not act suddenly and any changes you make from here on out should be gradual.
When you have a fish showing symptoms of anything if you move it at all it should be to quarantine otherwise just leave it in and treat the whole tank because any fish in the tank could have the same sickness and not show symptoms
You didn’t specify wether the tank you moved him to was empty or not which is the only reason I say that If you need further help actually diagnosing the fish then it would be helpful to have more information. (Things like what is the actual temperature of the water because words like warmer and colder are quite relative)
I suggest going to the disease section of the forum and filling out the emergency template if you are truly concerned. If you can’t find it just post here and I will paste it over for you.
The fish is getting better and swimming good.
Yes I forgot to tell you guys the tank I moved it in. It’s a tropical fish tank but with no heater. The fish in that tank have never lived under s heater. There is two black widow tetras and two black Kigali loaches and also an golden algae eater. The baby goldfish was isolated in a breeder box.

Jim2195

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
not sure if there's anything you can do if its temp related.

i use the outside water hose too. its black and heats up the water really quickly. i let it run until the water comes out cold. there's instances of children getting burned by being sprayed from the water hose during the summer.
The fish is like 90% back to normal. However it’s tail is forked like this.
438AC3BA-7E9B-4A43-A5EE-EB04DFB1A5F7.jpeg 7D9679E8-30B7-42B1-B858-D6E81B40B811.jpeg A49E55DF-B53E-468F-90DF-E799169FB0FF.jpeg
Should this be any concern to me? Just to mention that this fish isn’t a comet-common hybrid so it’s tail is usually rounded.

Pat93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
glad to hear he is doing better.
In my opinion Fin damage should only be a concern when it is not getting better, if the fork gets worse then you should be partially concerned, and take steps to improve the water conditions or treat for a bacterial infection.
However when fins are healing they sometimes get this white ish appearance to them. If you see that and it’s NOT fungus-like then they are probably healing on their own and just need some time.

In your case, I believe you mentioned the tank you had moved the goldfish to was the same temp as the goldfish tank before the waterchange, has this tank recieved it’s normal waterchange? Because that COULD contribute to the goldfishes tail problem, though I understand you may have just put it off for one day to give the goldfish a more stable environment it’s still something worth thinking about
(I don’t know if this is the case but I am mentioning it just in case)

I had a moonlight gourami with a ripped fin, I dosed the tank with some aquarium salt and then did a waterchange the next day or so and the fishes tail had fully recovered within a day or two after the waterchange. Seems to me fish can heal their fins really fast so long as you catch the damage early
I’d like to state also that I am no expert and I only have 1 goldfish tank (he’s a common comet too) so maybe someone who keeps goldfish more than I do would completely disagree with me

I have two points to bring up that don’t have much to do with your questions one is to help you and one is to help me lol
Just for a learning example,
if your fish did have something contagious, you would’ve just transferred it to both tanks potentially infecting both groups of fish. Causing you to fork over more $ for meds dependent on the amount of gallons you have. It’s always best to put them somewhere alone if you move them at all, and in an instance where you suspect temperature shock to be the issue, the last thing you want to do is suddenly change the temp again.

Common comets get up to 12” in length and usually require a pond, is that what your doing with yours?

cause I’m working on mine right now and I was wondering how many gallons you are planning?
I just have one in 40 gallons right now who isn’t full size yet that I just couldn’t leave in the feeder goldfish tank at the store because he looked so nice but I’d like about three or four and am curious how much more water is needed
Some people just keep them in tanks so maybe that was your plan idk, just looking for ideas here lol

Jim2195

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
glad to hear he is doing better.
In my opinion Fin damage should only be a concern when it is not getting better, if the fork gets worse then you should be partially concerned, and take steps to improve the water conditions or treat for a bacterial infection.
However when fins are healing they sometimes get this white ish appearance to them. If you see that and it’s NOT fungus-like then they are probably healing on their own and just need some time.

In your case, I believe you mentioned the tank you had moved the goldfish to was the same temp as the goldfish tank before the waterchange, has this tank recieved it’s normal waterchange? Because that COULD contribute to the goldfishes tail problem, though I understand you may have just put it off for one day to give the goldfish a more stable environment it’s still something worth thinking about
(I don’t know if this is the case but I am mentioning it just in case)

I had a moonlight gourami with a ripped fin, I dosed the tank with some aquarium salt and then did a waterchange the next day or so and the fishes tail had fully recovered within a day or two after the waterchange. Seems to me fish can heal their fins really fast so long as you catch the damage early
I’d like to state also that I am no expert and I only have 1 goldfish tank (he’s a common comet too) so maybe someone who keeps goldfish more than I do would completely disagree with me

I have two points to bring up that don’t have much to do with your questions one is to help you and one is to help me lol
Just for a learning example,
if your fish did have something contagious, you would’ve just transferred it to both tanks potentially infecting both groups of fish. Causing you to fork over more $ for meds dependent on the amount of gallons you have. It’s always best to put them somewhere alone if you move them at all, and in an instance where you suspect temperature shock to be the issue, the last thing you want to do is suddenly change the temp again.

Common comets get up to 12” in length and usually require a pond, is that what your doing with yours?

cause I’m working on mine right now and I was wondering how many gallons you are planning?
I just have one in 40 gallons right now who isn’t full size yet that I just couldn’t leave in the feeder goldfish tank at the store because he looked so nice but I’d like about three or four and am curious how much more water is needed
Some people just keep them in tanks so maybe that was your plan idk, just looking for ideas here lol
It did have a white ish appearance on its tail, but it’s gone now. The fish is back with the rest and is active and normal again!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom