Is This Fish A Good Breeder?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Fishlegs, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Fishlegs

FishlegsNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have 7 angelfish that are about 10 months old and I was hoping to get a breeding pair. One blue marble has paired up with a blue zebra. The blue marble is in my opinion the best looking fish out of the bunch and the blue zebra is large and healthy. My concern is that the zebra has a slight bend in it dorsal and analfin.

Do you think that this fish will produce good offspring or will a significant percentage have bent fins?

What are your thoughts on this fish?

Thank you,

angelfish.

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,573
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That completely depends on whether the fins are a product of genetics or something else (injury, non-genetic birth abnormality etc.) If you don't know it's parents, breeding it is the only way you'll know for sure I guess!

3. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
  4. Girt

GirtNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    You tend to get what you breed with (recessive genes aside), that includes straight or crooked fins.

5. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,573
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You CAN breed a show quality rooster with a missing eye to a two eyed hen and get all two eyed show quality chicks IF the missing eye is a result of injury or developmental accident. Same with fish. If there is no genetic component causing the abnormality, the abnormality will almost certainly be absent in offspring. It's not known if the fins on this fish are crooked as a result of genetic, developmental or accidental influence.

6. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,161
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    How big were the angels when you got them?did this one have bent fins when it arrived?

If it had straight fins when you got it, then it is almost definitely environmental factors that caused the bends. Do you have pics of when the fish first arrived? Where did you get them?

It's a beautiful fish. And I dont think you will end up with bends if you grow out the fry properly.

7. OP
    OP
    Fishlegs

FishlegsNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the replies, The fish were slightly larger than a quarter when I got them. This one has always had a bent fin.

I have a 20 gallon all set up and ready to to for a pair ( I am thinking I may upgrade to a 30 once I get a pair going). This zebra and another slightly smaller zebra have been fighting a little bit over the marble fish. The zebra with the bent fin appears to have won and now mostly swims with the marble and they guard a piece of slate that I have in the tank. Occasionally the smaller zebra will swim with the marble and the get chased off by the bigger one with the bent fin.

I am guessing that the marble is a female and the zebras are males.

Could I just take the smaller zebra with the straight fins and put it in with the marble in the 20 gallon tank? Would they form a pair?

Thank you,

8. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,573
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I don't know much about angelfish in particular. But why don't you try breeding the bent fin one once and see what you get? It's a gorgeous fish! If you get offspring that have bent fins then you know there's a genetic component to the deformity. You could retire it to the 'just pretty fish tank' and pick another mate. If you don't with the first batch, chances are you won't with future batches. Of course there's always a chance an aberrant genetic trait will show up 'down the line' but unless you're breeding to sell to other breeders, it doesn't really matter. Some aberrancies end up being desirable traits! Just Look at the Blood Parrot Cichlids. They have deformities that would probably make survival in the wild difficult if not impossible. But, they are gentle, friendly, beautiful, interesting and possibly somewhat intelligent fish that are highly prized and sought after by some aquarium fish experts and owners. Give "Bendy" a chance!