Is this finrot or regrowth?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of our Bettas Aslan recently tore his fin a bit - we think on a tank decoration that's now gone - and has seemed to be having some of the white regrowth. But tonight we noticed at the bottom of his tail fin, what looks like 3 'ribs' with the webbing in between not there. We're not sure if these 'ribs' are regrowth or if he suddenly's lost a lot of fin. Can that part of the fin grow fast? We're attaching 3 pictures with the area in question circled in green. Could he be nipping his own tail fin? Thanks in advance.

Stacy & Dave

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...........as you know I am /have been dealing with fin rot for several weeks. There is a thread here somewhere about how fast mine happened, - it was a matter of hours. ??? And, as you have read earlier, what we all though was regrowth on Neptune, ( all deep burgundy) turned out to be fin rot. Hopefully, your little guy had a tear/nip or something similar and it won't be tailrot. I will be watching and rooting for him/you! Val

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It would be unusual for a fin to grow back in strands like that. It usually comes back evenly. It's hard to tell without knowing what his fin looked like before. Was that section that short before and you've just noticed those strands growing or... Some fish do chew their own fins so I'd keep an eye on him and see if that's what he's doing.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
In all honesty folks, I suspect it is fin rot.  In the second picture and above the circled area is a section of fin with the edges showing a washed out color.  That is how our Betta's fin rot begins manifesting.  If the area you have circled was once full and now the webbing is gone, it's fin rot.

Sorry,

Mike

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree it does look like finrot. I would start treating with something strong like Triple Sulfa. It looks like a pretty aggressive bacteria to do that and I wouldn't waste time with any of the milder stuff. Start treating right away and good luck.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am sending healing thoughts for Aslan and the two of you. Hopefully he will recover speedily.

CherryRose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Phloxface said:
It would be unusual for a fin to grow back in strands like that. It usually comes back evenly. It's hard to tell without knowing what his fin looked like before. Was that section that short before and you've just noticed those strands growing or... Some fish do chew their own fins so I'd keep an eye on him and see if that's what he's doing.
I wish I could be sure of how short it was before.. we've been so busy getting ready for a trip, i've not been checking his fins as much as i should. I think the fins were that short before but i'm not 100% now. He has been in an aggressive kind of mood lately after being such a mild-mannered fish since we got him until the last couple weeks.. showing his fins & flaring for no apparent reason at we don't know what, so that's why we wondered if he could be nipping his fins, but finrot's the first thing that crosses our minds too, we were just hoping we were wrong about that. It's going to be hard to treat him & keep an eye on it when we head out for 2 weeks. We've started treating him for it last night and will keep an eye on him this week & pray he clears it before we go.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom