Is This Fin Rot?

Dino325

Reaction score
P_20190718_170233.jpg
Hi guys, I can't identify if this is fin rot, or is it normal. tank mates are all healthy.
45Gal tank
PH 7.5
Ommonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Bcarter1100

Reaction score
I dont think so. With fin rot you can usually see the edges of fins are either transparent or sometimes black. You can definitely medicate with a fin rot medication from you LFS (local fish store) without hurting the fish if you're still worried.

FishGirl38

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree with the above, It doesn't quite look like fin rot, but there is definitely fin damage there. That's not to say it won't heal though. Fin damage is common, they get nipped at and ripped on decor sometimes and heal up just fine within a week or so. Fin rot occurs when those little nips and tears get infected, per se. And the infection causes a continuation of ripping and tearing. Usually when this happens, you can see the infection, which may appear as black edges on the fin or increased opacity or cloudiness around the edges.

Adding fin rot medication might be a good preventative to avoid a fin rot break out altogether, but that looks like it should heal up within two weeks or so as long as the tank parameters stay balanced and there aren't any other aggressive tank mates causing further damage.

Dino325

Reaction score
Thank you for fast reply, I was little panic when I notice his tail kinda ragged, while his mates are all active and healthy. Except for 1 telescope (most beautiful fish in my tank) which have parmanent swim bladder problem. I'm going to put him in hospital tank with melafix for a week just for precaution.

Uhhh what is this??? Just saw this thing swimming around with my calico in hospital tank. Is it a triops? Where does it came from??
P_20190719_011634.jpg

Screenshot_20190719-012335.jpg

Attachments

LDan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Dino325

Reaction score
It's harmless I guess, my calico tried to eat it but spit right out then left it alone. The triops is crazy active swimming around at crazy speed. Now the mystery is where did it come fromo_O

LDan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dino325 said:
It's harmless I guess, my calico tried to eat it but spit right out then left it alone. The triops is crazy active swimming around at crazy speed. Now the mystery is where did it come fromo_O
Wow like, how big is it?? I thought it was hardly visible! I have to look these up now

Dino325

Reaction score
It's slightly smaller than the size of a green bean. Never heard of triops appear out of nowhere in a tank and not to mention the size is quite big. I started the hospital tank today, lets say if there is an triops egg in the tank, the possibility of or it to hatch is quite low. And even if it hatched today it should be barely visible. Lots of questions

LDan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dino325 said:
It's slightly smaller than the size of a green bean. Never heard of triops appear out of nowhere in a tank and not to mention the size is quite big. I started the hospital tank today, lets say if there is an triops egg in the tank, the possibility of or it to hatch is quite low. And even if it hatched today it should be barely visible. Lots of questions
I just checked youtube, they get relatively huge! Very interesting creature. Good luck with it! And good luck with your goldie too, I hope she gets better soon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom