Is This Fin Rot? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Esli, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Esli

Esli Valued Member Member

Hi guys. I have noticed that the end of my blue bettas tail is curling up, I tried to take the best photo I could but he does not stay still!
    He is in a 10 gallon divided tank with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some 5 ppm nitrate.
    My other one has the same issue on the botton of his fin, but it doesnt curl up, it seems more stuck together but it doesn't look bad.
    The blue one is the one who is worrying me. I change their water weekly about 15%, so what could it be? The rest of their fins are absolutely gorgeous and unharmed.

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I dont think the first one has rot, but the second betta looks suspicious.
    Personally, I would do a water change about now and see if that will help by doing one every day. What’s the temperature?

3. Comet-Aurum

Comet-Aurum Valued Member Member

have the fish had any of the symptoms or strange behavior?
    not eating,
    faded coloration,
    fraying,
    etc?
    (hope this helps)

4. OP
    OP
    Esli

The temperature is at 79 right now. I am trying my best to take another picture of him, it is hard since he is dark as well lol

No strange behavior
    No faded color, he actually just ate some brine shrimp a while ago today.
    Im not sure what fraying is?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2018
  5. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

If I’m honest, 10-15% water changes weekly do very little in my opinion.

40-50% is something a lot of pro fish keepers on YouTube recommend. Including: Aquarium Co Op. Solid Gold. Aqua Pros. Rachel O’Leary. To name a few.

6. OP
    OP
    Esli

Okay guys I took as many as I could. If you focus on the bottom of the top fin, it seems like ripped a little.

Wow I thought 40% would be too much. Thanks for thank, I am going to give that a try after he heals!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2018
  7. babiimoore

babiimoore Well Known Member Member

i’ve noticed not all fins are perfect, all my bettas have imperfections. my two dumbos both have rips in their pectoral fins that don’t ever change. but my oldest betta sometimes wedges himself between my plant leaves and the glass and manages to rip his fin every so often but it always heals in a couple weeks. just keep the water clean and its nothing to worry about.

8. OP
    OP
    Esli

Thank you so much!

9. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

My guy chews his own tail up constantly, I’ve seen no ill effects from it yet to be honest as I keep his water very clean. To him he swims better without all that weight it’s just distressing for me to see his beautiful long flowing tail in ratty tatters.

Honestly I’m not seeing fin rot here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2018
  10. Comet-Aurum

Comet-Aurum Valued Member Member

do what the smart guy says and your fish is probably fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice