Is This Fin Rot? Question

1. K

Kristin Gray Valued Member Member

I know the pictures aren’t the best quality, forgive me. She doesn’t like to be still very long. But does this look like fin rot? She has a cloudy spot on one fin and the tips are reddish on her tail fin. Her fins stay shredded, they’ve been that way since I got her, but I’ve never noticed the red coloring before. The water quality in my tank is FINALLY pristine (had lots of issues with ammonia and recycling over and over, turns out I was changing water too often apparently) so it seems strange that she would get fin rot now...

Attached Files:

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Yep. Definitely treat the tank for fin rot. API fin & body cure is a good medication for this and won't harm your biological filtration. Your local fish stote may have something equally well, but this medication I'm familiar with and it's safe.

3. OP
    OP
    K

Will it harm plants? I do have a couple of live plants in the tank. I’m ordering the medication now. I noticed this a couple days ago, but no marks on her body, just the fins.

4. finnipper59

No. Plants are not affected by it at all. It work specifically on bacteria. It may or may not cause problems for snails or shrimp, but I even doubt that. They would be at more danger with an antiparacitic.

5. OP
    OP
    K

I also have Seachem Kanaplex in hand. Should I start treatment with that? It will be a couple days before the API comes in. I know not to mix treatments.

6. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

Something else that is 100% natural that i just got is microbe lift artemiss. It helps finrot and other bacterial infections. Other people have said it's really good but i can't say yet because i have yet to try it. But i have a feeling i will soon.

7. finnipper59

I've heard many great reviews on Kanaplex as to it's effectiveness in treating finrot and secondary fungal infections as well. I do know it won't harm biological systems ot plants, so it sounds good to me. I'll just continue to hope I won't have to find out for myself in the near future. Good luck.

8. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

If your tank is cycled you should be fine dosing any medications. It won't affect your plants or anything else. The only way it could affect your plants is if you were using something for the plants like searchem flourish which is good for the plants.

9. OP
    OP
    K

Thanks all! Thankfully I’ve been fortunate in not having very many reasons to treat with meds thus far in my big tank so I always try to ask before I treat anything. I’ll start treatment with the Kanaplex until the API comes in, and if after the treatment period with Kanaplex if I’m not satisfied with the results I’ll do water changes and switch to the API. Never hurts to have extra on hand, right?