Is This Fin Rot

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Image1525747475.830765.jpg

So I know this is a horrible picture but at the end of my bettas tail it is white. I know this is a sign of fin rot in general but how would I know he has it, if he even does.

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He doesn’t have it. That’s just his coloring. Fin rot usually affects the entire edge of the fin and eats away at it making it look jagged.

Red or black edges are usual signs of fin rot.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WhatsUpGuys said:
He doesn’t have it. That’s just his coloring. Fin rot usually affects the entire edge of the fin and eats away at it making it look jagged.

Red or black edges are usual signs of fin rot.
This is him a couple days later I feel like it has gotten a little worse.

Image1525986967.028383.jpg

Aquafina

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you think it might be fin rot I highly recommend Seachem . I used it when I suspected it with my betta. It incredibly simple to use and it's a bit more expensive than other medicine, but completely worth it. You use a very small dosage, so one purchase will likely last you a couple years.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquafina said:
If you think it might be fin rot I highly recommend Seachem . I used it when I suspected it with my betta. It incredibly simple to use and it's a bit more expensive than other medicine, but completely worth it. You use a very small dosage, so one purchase will likely last you a couple years.
What about API bettafix because I have heard it works all most all of the time.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquafina said:
I've heard a lot of controversial statements on MelaFix and BettaFix damaging Betta's labyrinth organs, so I have trust issues with them
Okay.

Aquafina said:
I've heard a lot of controversial statements on MelaFix and BettaFix damaging Betta's labyrinth organs, so I have trust issues with them
Should the BettaFix work?

I think my Betta has fin rot and I recently posted on the forum and people said no but I feel like it is because of the white tips on the fin. I ordered some BettaFix because I read that it works. Is there anything else I can do and here is a picture of him and can anyone tell me if it really is.
Image1526165653.985546.jpg

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
varmint said:
PH and Temp is good. As per Fanatic, water changes is always the best method to cure fin rot.
Okay I have him in a .5 gallon tank thing floating in the aquarium to keep him separated and to make water changes easier. I also read putting a bit of hydrogen peroxide on the spots help and adding aquarium salt but just a little. I have Kosher salt which is pure sodium chloride so should I add some. I also have Betta fix, would you recommend I use that?
This is what I have him in.
Image1526175997.172335.jpg

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
First off, forget using salt and hydrogen peroxide. You can use Bettafix if you want, but personally, I have yet to see it being effective. Water changes are the most effective treatment for fin rot. I'm a little curious as to why you have the betta separated and why would that make water changes easier.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
varmint said:
First off, forget using salt and hydrogen peroxide. You can use Bettafix if you want, but personally, I have yet to see it being effective. Water changes are the most effective treatment for fin rot. I'm a little curious as to why you have the betta separated and why would that make water changes easier.
In case I use the BettaFix it will be easier to dose and to keep an eye on the fish. The water change part is probably not easier but I feel like it will be easier to just dump out and then do fresh new clean water for him.

Also do you think he has fin rot or not.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hard to tell. Personally I don't think he has fin rot. It would help if I new why he's segregated and what size of tank he was in. Also, what other fish are in that tank.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
w_johnson07 said:
Should the BettaFix work?
It works in some minor cases, and the myths of it damaging the labrinth organ have been debunked bc you’d need to overdose quite a lot in order for that to happen, this is especially improbable if you have higher gh and kh levels. Salt baths also work such as this:
1 gallon tank water
1tsp aquarium salt
2x the recommended tank dose of methylene blue
And possibly an airstone or fragment of wonder shell to aid in osmoregulation.

Kanamycin is quite strong and you might want to save that for down the road if you ever run into serious issues. But I do recommend an **** medicated wonder shell if the above options don’t help.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
varmint said:
Hard to tell. Personally I don't think he has fin rot. It would help if I new why he's segregated and what size of tank he was in. Also, what other fish are in that tank.
I just put him in there but I took him out, he is with 2 ghost shrimp in a 5 gallon tank, someone said it was his coloration and that may be but his tail seems kind of jagged and one of his bottom fins has a white spot on the end.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom