Is This Fin Rot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Lex1, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Lex1

Lex1New MemberMember

I made the mistake of doing a 100% water change since my tank was cycled and i thought it would be okay. My betta was completely lifeless laying on a plant when I came home when he normally swims to the front of the tank and all over when I get home. I assumed it was from the water change mistake so I did a 50% change to help with ammonia. It has not helped his activity level and I m not sure if that’s normal. If he goes by his plant he’ll lay there for about 10 minutes and move somewhere else, just to sit there for another 10 minutes.

I also noticed he has like a black outline along all of his fins. For the life of me I can’t remember if he’s always been like that or not. He does have a darker body and I don’t notice any holes or tears in his fins so I’ll post pics to see what y’all think. Does his inactivity after a 50% water change sound normal also? He’s eaten his normal twice a day meal but he’s never been this inactive. Image1523430538.768799.jpgImage1523430575.074436.jpgImage1523430610.571541.jpg

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

I think the 100 per cent change would only help finrot go as it is not stress/ammonia level related. It's either bacterial or fungal. Also I think this is what a betta does after rehoming or stress, so this would be caused by stress.

3. appcontrol

appcontrolWell Known MemberMember

Keep water in best condition. Never do 100% water change better is to do daily smaller amounts like 30% If it doesn't go better but it goes on worse after few days you can use fin rot meds.

Keep water in best condition. Never do 100% water change better is to do daily smaller amounts like 30% If it doesn't go better but it goes on worse after few days you can use fin rot meds.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    Lex1

Lex1New MemberMember

So it does look like fin rot? I wasn’t sure if it was or not. His activity level has picked back up So I’m not as worried as I was. I think that 100% water change might have shocked him in some kind of way. Maybe just the stress of the move or maybe I did something wrong. I’m going to start the 30% water changes and see if I see any changes in his fin coloration.

5. appcontrol

appcontrolWell Known MemberMember

I think it is but is not bad. Just keep water fresh and i think that there is no need for daily water change. 100% water change did shock him and dont do it again. Good luck