Is This Fin Rot? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Lex1, Apr 11, 2018.

1. L

Lex1 New Member Member

I made the mistake of doing a 100% water change since my tank was cycled and i thought it would be okay. My betta was completely lifeless laying on a plant when I came home when he normally swims to the front of the tank and all over when I get home. I assumed it was from the water change mistake so I did a 50% change to help with ammonia. It has not helped his activity level and I m not sure if that’s normal. If he goes by his plant he’ll lay there for about 10 minutes and move somewhere else, just to sit there for another 10 minutes.

I also noticed he has like a black outline along all of his fins. For the life of me I can’t remember if he’s always been like that or not. He does have a darker body and I don’t notice any holes or tears in his fins so I’ll post pics to see what y’all think. Does his inactivity after a 50% water change sound normal also? He’s eaten his normal twice a day meal but he’s never been this inactive. Image1523430538.768799.jpg Image1523430575.074436.jpg Image1523430610.571541.jpg

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I think the 100 per cent change would only help finrot go as it is not stress/ammonia level related. It's either bacterial or fungal. Also I think this is what a betta does after rehoming or stress, so this would be caused by stress.

3. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Keep water in best condition. Never do 100% water change better is to do daily smaller amounts like 30% If it doesn't go better but it goes on worse after few days you can use fin rot meds.

Keep water in best condition. Never do 100% water change better is to do daily smaller amounts like 30% If it doesn't go better but it goes on worse after few days you can use fin rot meds.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    L

Lex1 New Member Member

So it does look like fin rot? I wasn’t sure if it was or not. His activity level has picked back up So I’m not as worried as I was. I think that 100% water change might have shocked him in some kind of way. Maybe just the stress of the move or maybe I did something wrong. I’m going to start the 30% water changes and see if I see any changes in his fin coloration.

5. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

I think it is but is not bad. Just keep water fresh and i think that there is no need for daily water change. 100% water change did shock him and dont do it again. Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice