Is This Fin Rot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Beeman, Apr 21, 2017.

1. BeemanNew MemberMember

noticed what might be fin rot on the tail of my pleco. Never really looked closely at its tail fin until now so I'm not sure if this is normal or fin rot. This pleco previously had ich which had been successfully removed (yay) however I can't tell if he still has some disease. If this is fin rot what do you suggest for treatment? I haven't noticed any weird behavior (heavy breathing etc.) and as I look at my other pleco it appears it looks the same. Is this just their tail fin design or is it fin rot (sorry for bad pictures hard to get a good shot)

WNa7t3R.jpg
    SiTyc2g.jpg

2. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

Sometimes all that's needed to regrow proteins is Ascorbic Acid.
    Most fish fall short of this nutrient when confined by us and fed lab-produced fake Vitamin C that they can't absorb.
    Liquid Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) takes care of most wounds if no bacterial infection is present.

3. BeemanNew MemberMember

So you're saying this is fin rot and I should add liquid vitamin c to the tank? Little confused on what you are telling me

4. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

I guess I am.
    I used to deal with feeder fish with several diseases and once medicated and treated the fins still looked torn up and quite rough.
    It wasn't until I used Ascorbic Acid when all their fins turned exceptionally healthy looking with beautiful coloration.

5. BeemanNew MemberMember

Do you have any suggestions of where I should go to get this?

6. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

For example I use this
    6aa0b7c3fa0ad7f5b9dd66df1862d950.jpg
    It says Marine but it's for both Fresh-and Saltwater.
    If this doesn't give your fish beautiful fins and the tail shows signs of worsening you need to treat it with an antibiotic that treats bacterial infections.
    An example would be a chemical called Nitrofurazon. APIFuran2 contains it I think, but I'll double check.

Edit: yup API Furan-2

7. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

I have to mention something else though.
    In general I avoid antibiotics all together. Most external bacterial infections can be treated with a quick dip or herbal remedy such as Artemiss by Microbe-Lift (in the US).

In Europe esp. Holland antibiotics for aquatic life is hard to come by and in the works of being illegal.
    They had to come up with another solution to combat fish infections that are bacterial in nature, due to the fact that most of the strains there are already immune and turned into superbugs.

A product called Voogle (Avoid Antibiotics) by Easy-Life is available through Amazon that can be used instead of harsh chemicals that kill your biofilter.

I dose my tanks with Voogle Immune Booster every other week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice