Is This Fin Rot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jacques, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Jacques

Jacques Valued Member Member

Hi all. My male guppy has been acting weird for a while. He swims slow and stays in one spot a long time. He does interact with the female once in a while. So here is a pic. Can it be fin rot? Can I use sera mycopur for it if it is and is it safe for kuhlis? Water par is 0,0,15

[​IMG]

2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Have you been doing 25-30% minimum water changes every week? That looks like the water quality has deteriorated.
    The test kit crew will suggest an immediate test, which could give you valuable info. If you don't have a kit, go onto a vigorous water changing routine. 25% 2 or 3 times a week. That tail should recover.
    Throwing antibiotics at it seems unnecessary to me.

3. OP
    OP
    Jacques

Thank you. Yes I have been changing the water.

Out of interest. Is sera mycopur safe for kuhlis?

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It seems to have copper chloride and copper sulfate, which is why I had to look it up - copper meds seem banned in many jurisdictions. It shouldn't be a problem for loaches, although if you really want to use it (you seem to) I'd go at a half dose and watch closely.
    Copper is murder to get out once it's in though. Simple water changes won't always do - it lingers.

Out of interest, I doubt it would help.

5. OP
    OP
    Jacques

Okay thank you again. I won't use it then. I used it once a long while back and it helped but I do want to stay clear of meds. It just cost a fortune so thought it would be good

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice