Is this fin rot?

The Fish Lady

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think my bettas tail is slowly disintegrating. Could this be fin rot? And what exactly is fin rot? What do I do for that? He seems to be his usual self otherwise. ThanksImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437241529.782290.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437241543.231960.jpg

Nympxzie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes that is fin rot.
What is your water like, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
What size tank is he in?
Fin rot is caused by high ammonia due to an uncycled tank. Prioritize buying an API Master Test kit and post the results!
--
For now, if he is in a 2.5 gallon or less change 100% of the water every day. if he isn't a 5 gallon or more, change 50% of the water every day.
Clean water is the key to healing a rotting tail.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi there!

Yes, I'm afraid it's fin rot. I agree with the above posters' questions, and advice to keep the water conditions pristine.

The Fish Lady

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok thanks. I did a water change today, he is in a 2.5 gal tank and I cleaned it really well. He is my daughters fish and I admit his tank is not cleaned weekly. But now it will be. Should I add the betafix?

The Fish Lady

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Update: checked the water parameters today. Ph 7.6, High Ph 8.0, ammonia and nitrites 0, nitrates 10. What do you think?

The Fish Lady

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It has been a week since I figured out that my betta most likely has fin rot. Have been doing daily water changes. How long am I supposed to continue this and what should I expect to be seeing in terms of recovery if there is any?

The Fish Lady

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know about the water parameters, they are fine. 0- 0–5. I'm just wondering how long do I have to continue daily water changes and will I eventually see him recover?

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If the water parameters are fine now, all you can do now is wait and give time for recovery. Even Mother Nature requires time to heal wounds.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom