Is this fin rot or tail biting?

cody000125

Hi!

Recently I've noticed tearing on my bettas fin (Puck) lately.. I've been doing some research into what is is but am having a hard to determining if it's fin rot or tail biting. He's in a cycled 3.5 gallon tank but will be moved into a 5 gallon planted tank once I get it cycled. I also do water changes weekly.
Here is a picture of him around 2 months ago when I got him.

IMG_3719.jpg
And Here is a picture of him now. Also the water is a tea color due to me adding in SunGrow leaves.

IMG_3993.jpg

He's very active and has no problems with feeding. Any help would really be appreciated, thank you!

Littlewoman01

Hi!

Recently I've noticed tearing on my bettas fin (Puck) lately.. I've been doing some research into what is is but am having a hard to determining if it's fin rot or tail biting. He's in a cycled 3.5 gallon tank but will be moved into a 5 gallon planted tank once I get it cycled. I also do water changes weekly.
Here is a picture of him around 2 months ago when I got him.

IMG_3719.jpg
And Here is a picture of him now.

IMG_3993.jpg

He's very active and has no problems with feeding. Any help would really be appreciated, thank you!
I'm not sure why, but I can't see the pictures. Idk if it's just me or not. Hopefully more people will respond soon!

Addictedtobettas

It looks like fin biting to me. With possible fin rot sneaking in. They can go hand in fin.
What is his tank setup (temp, filters, % water changed) and parameters?

cody000125

It looks like fin biting to me. With possible fin rot sneaking in. They can go hand in fin.
What is his tank setup (temp, filters, % water changed) and parameters?
Hi! he's in a 3.5 gallon top fin tank with a built in filter. The filters on the lowest setting and the flow doesn't seem to bother him. He also has Tetra HT 50-Watt heater that's preset to 78 degrees. As for set-up around the tank he has the shown tree in the middle that's hollow along with a betta hammock and a SunGrow leaf to hide under. There also was a moss ball that i've taken out and put in the planted tank to help move over some bacteria.
As for water parameters:
PH: 8.0 due to my tap water.. And in my planted tank is running around 7.0 which will hopefully be better for him once I get him acclimated after it cycles.
Ammonia: 0 But my tap water also has chloramine in it and reads 2.0 ppm So I I've read to double dose with prime which has been helping.
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: range between 5-10

Thank you!

Addictedtobettas

Hi! he's in a 3.5 gallon top fin tank with a built in filter. The filters on the lowest setting and the flow doesn't seem to bother him. He also has Tetra HT 50-Watt heater that's preset to 78 degrees. As for set-up around the tank he has the shown tree in the middle that's hollow along with a betta hammock and a SunGrow leaf to hide under. As for water parameters:
PH: 8.0 due to my tap water.. And in my planted tank is running around 7.0 which will hopefully be better for him once I get him acclimated after it cycles.
Ammonia: 0 But my tap water also has chloramine in it and reads 2.0 ppm So I I've read to double dose with prime which has been helping.
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: range between 5-10

Thank you!
Ph is a little high but bettas are usually ok with that. Just do be sure to slowly acclimate him to the 7.0.
When you say double dosing prime (which I completely understand doing) how much exactly are you dosing?
Are there any silk plants that he can hide under or in? That tree/root is lovely but doesn’t seem entirely enough for him (I know he’s moving to a planted tank but stress can add up).

I highly recommend you treat the current tank he’s in with aquarium salt. Maybe not the full dose on the box but at least a half dose.
Perhaps even something additional like stressguard?

Did you boil the leaves before hand or were they able to give their full tannin effect in the water? I usually use rooibos tea for the tannin effect, it also seems to help drop the ph more than the Indian/cattappa leaves do and can be added slowly.

Oh and do you have a thermometer in the tank? Some of those auto heaters are bunk. :/

cody000125

Ph is a little high but bettas are usually ok with that. Just do be sure to slowly acclimate him to the 7.0.
When you say double dosing prime (which I completely understand doing) how much exactly are you dosing?
Are there any silk plants that he can hide under or in? That tree/root is lovely but doesn’t seem entirely enough for him (I know he’s moving to a planted tank but stress can add up).

I highly recommend you treat the current tank he’s in with aquarium salt. Maybe not the full dose on the box but at least a half dose.
Perhaps even something additional like stressguard?

Did you boil the leaves before hand or were they able to give their full tannin effect in the water? I usually use rooibos tea for the tannin effect, it also seems to help drop the ph more than the Indian/cattappa leaves do and can be added slowly.

Oh and do you have a thermometer in the tank? Some of those auto heaters are bunk. :/
I will! I just purchased a water dripper today to help out with that once my new tanks ready! And when double dosing I've usually just been adding double the amount of prime.. 1ml -> 2ml.. (So with my 3.5gallong I've been trying to put around 1ml) If this is incorrect please let met know. And there isn't.. There are plenty more hiding spots in the new tank though. But maybe I'll add in something new until then. And I actually just ordered aquarium salt earlier today so I will be trying that tomorrow! And I have API stress coat, would that be sufficient or do you suggest stressguard? And I do boil the leaves for around 10 minutes. And as for the heater I have one of the cheap dollar glass thermometer in that seems pretty accurate, usually reads 78-79 and I just checked with a digital thermometer and it's sitting at 79.2.

Also would you suggest ParaGuard with StressGuard? Saw some people on amazon pairing those up.

Addictedtobettas

Ahh so Prime is dosed at 1 ml per 10 gallons. Which means for 3 1/2 gallons you’re already nearly tripling the dose. Which is fine overall but if you’re doing 2 ml that’s 6x the needed amount. Probably still ok (they say up to 5x usually), however Prime is a reducer which means it’s also reducing the available oxygen in the water which can on the ‘good’ end means fish are a little stressed and on the ‘bad’ end they can die.
You didn’t mention how much water you’re changing out each week but without plants I’d suggest 50% keeping an eye on ammonia spikes which I’ve found are easier in tanks without natural filtration such as plants. I’m assuming you’re changing out 100% if you’re using the 1-2ml of Prime and that’s a big stressor for most fish.
Once in the planted tank 25-50% max is ideal.

Highly recommend a more reliable thermometer such as the digital ones. All average aquarium thermometers are off a little bit but I’ve found the on the tank and glass cheapies to be off by about 3-5 degrees and that’s a big difference.

Even just 1 large silk plant might do him some good!

Stresscoat is ok as a water conditioner but I don't personally recommend both Prime and that as, again, they are reducers.
Paraguard doesn’t appear to be useful for your guy currently, fin rot and nipping don’t suggest parasites (unless you’re seeing other symptoms).
Stressguard is similar to using aquarium salt and it’s the only commercial product I add rather regularly to all of my tanks aside from Prime, salt and the tea.

He’s a beautiful fish and it’s good of you to be trying to set him up so well now and in the future! I’m sure you’ll be happy to see those gorgeous fins back in full flare.

cody000125

Ahh so Prime is dosed at 1 ml per 10 gallons. Which means for 3 1/2 gallons you’re already nearly tripling the dose. Which is fine overall but if you’re doing 2 ml that’s 6x the needed amount. Probably still ok (they say up to 5x usually), however Prime is a reducer which means it’s also reducing the available oxygen in the water which can on the ‘good’ end means fish are a little stressed and on the ‘bad’ end they can die.
You didn’t mention how much water you’re changing out each week but without plants I’d suggest 50% keeping an eye on ammonia spikes which I’ve found are easier in tanks without natural filtration such as plants. I’m assuming you’re changing out 100% if you’re using the 1-2ml of Prime and that’s a big stressor for most fish.
Once in the planted tank 25-50% max is ideal.

Highly recommend a more reliable thermometer such as the digital ones. All average aquarium thermometers are off a little bit but I’ve found the on the tank and glass cheapies to be off by about 3-5 degrees and that’s a big difference.

Even just 1 large silk plant might do him some good!

Stresscoat is ok as a water conditioner but I don't personally recommend both Prime and that as, again, they are reducers.
Paraguard doesn’t appear to be useful for your guy currently, fin rot and nipping don’t suggest parasites (unless you’re seeing other symptoms).
Stressguard is similar to using aquarium salt and it’s the only commercial product I add rather regularly to all of my tanks aside from Prime, salt and the tea.

He’s a beautiful fish and it’s good of you to be trying to set him up so well now and in the future! I’m sure you’ll be happy to see those gorgeous fins back in full flare.
Oh wow.. Oops They need better instructions for the math impaired.. But thank you! I will fix the dosing. And alright I have aquarium salts and stressguard on the way! One more question.. Is it alright to use both at the same time? Or would you suggest starting with the salt.

Addictedtobettas

Oh wow.. Oops They need better instructions for the math impaired.. But thank you! I will fix the dosing. And alright I have aquarium salts and stressguard on the way! One more question.. Is it alright to use both at the same time? Or would you suggest starting with the salt.
They really do need a better dosing system! Every other one of their bottles doses at 10gal.
You can use both stressguard and aquarium salt at the same time. I’d honestly start with a half dose of the salt though, it doesn’t take much to give them the benefit and your guy isn’t in that bad of shape at this point. (In my not so humble opinion)

cody000125

They really do need a better dosing system! Every other one of their bottles doses at 10 gallon.
You can use both stressguard and aquarium salt at the same time. I’d honestly start with a half dose of the salt though, it doesn’t take much to give them the benefit and your guy isn’t in that bad of shape at this point. (In my not so humble opinion)
Alrighty, sounds good! Thank you so much! You were a lot of help!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kadi
Replies
Views
samuraikitty7
Replies
Views
woolridge
Replies
Views