Is This Fin Rot Or Regrowth? Question

1. cyanicwaters

cyanicwaters New Member Member

So sadly my betta has a bit of fin rot, it's minor so I'm glad I caught it soon. I moved him from his permanent home (heated and filtered 10gal tank) to a QT tank (1.5gal, also heated with a filter). I've been treating him with aquarium salt and daily 70-80% water changes (I'd do 100% but I'd have to take him out of the tank and then put him back in and I don't want to stress him out more than I have too). Anyways I included a picture of him and I wanted to know if the white fuzzy parts of his fins are symptoms of the fin rot (cause I've heard it can present itself like that) or if it's regrowth. 1527607942368.jpg

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Hi there,

Is he the only fish in the 10 gallon?
    I would advise against using salt and doing the amount of water changes you are doing.

Keep him in his 10 gallon and do daily 50% water changes with conditioned, temperature matched water for a week without any medication. Fin rot is a bacteria that can be prevented and cured by clean water.

You should never do 100% water changes in general, it causes unnecessary stress for the fish and is more work for you. It also can put them into shock from the parameters and temperature changing.

I can’t really see the white stuff you are talking about, but if its clear-ish then it’s re growth.

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

To me, the enlarged pic looked like fin rot. I know hobbyist like to try home remedies like heat and salt...and sometimes it works. But the bacteria can sometimes tolerate more heat and salt than the fish can. The best treatment for it is API fin and body treatment. But at $17.00, it's usually more expensive than the fish. There is a 10 second dip in a methylene blue solution you can treat with. Mix exactly 1 tablespoon of methylene blue to 1 gallon of tank water. Dip the fish in it still in the net for 10 seconds. Then dip the fish and the net in some fresh water to remove the methylene blue. 10 seconds is long enough for the bacteria to absorb it and they will remain permanently stained blue...they will die. But rincing the excess off of the fish and net is necessary to keep from killing your beneficial bacteria.

4. OP
    OP
    cyanicwaters

He has one snail in the 10 with him (mystery)

He's had this fin problem for a few weeks, at first I was doing 50% water changes (not daily but more than once a week). It didn't seem to be helping and his affected fin was looking more tattered. So I tried bettafix (I know) to no avail. I later learned it's actually bad. Then a day or two ago I noticed his back fin was starting to look torn, so that's when I moved him to his QT tank and started the salt. Honestly I'm using it as a last resort because I've heard it has worked for some people.

Honestly I don't mind spending the money for the API treatment if it will work. I love this little fish and I've already spent too much money on him, what's $17 more.
    Do you suggest it? Have you used it with good results?

Do you suggest I move him back to the 10 and try a stronger medicine (like API fin and body cure) or keep him in the 1.5 with the salt?

5. finnipper59

Yes, I've used it with fantastic results. It is especially recommend for bettas for bacterial diseases. I have two 55 gallon tanks...one with a betta in it and I have so many types of fish medications and water conditioners that I feel like a fish pharmacist. But don't mistake me for an over user of them. I've been an aquarium hobbyist for 45 years and I'm a retired Biological Chemist. I only use products that list their ingredients and only when I'm positive they are necessary.

Nix the salt and get the API fin and body cure.

6. OP
    OP
    cyanicwaters

Okay, thank you for the advice.
    Also would it be safe to move him back to his 10 and start treating him immediately (since he's already had 24 hours in the salt).

Okay thank you

7. finnipper59

Yes. Get him out of the salt. It could actually pull water out of his body cells causing them to lyse (shrink) because of negative osmosis.
    Asap