Is This Fin Rot On My Swordtail Molly?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by swoulfey, Apr 10, 2018.

1. s

swoulfey New Member Member

Hello everyone,

I noticed my swordtail Molly has a significantly smaller left side fin than his right. It looks milky white and damaged-looking at the end of it. However, none of his other fins look damaged. The only other thing I can see on him is a very very small sort of notch/dip in his dorsal fin. It appears slightly white tinged around it but other than that, he looks perfectly fine and is acting normal.
    Unfortunately I also just went through my second bout of ice since setting up my tank two months ago. I lost 4 fish from that. Could this be a result of the ich?

So, is this fin rot, and if so, what can I do to help him?
    I attached some images where you can see the bad fin, as well as the little notch in the dorsal. However, the whiteness I see doesn't really show up in the photo.

Thank you for any help!

Attached Files:

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

I can't tell from this pictures personally, but it's possible, or something else is nipping it.

Keep your water quality good and monitor it, if thing go on bad side you can use fin rot meds. But first be sure that no one is bullying that fish.

3. Dandelion-Dream

Dandelion-Dream Valued Member Member

I agree with appcontrol. It's hard to pinpoint whether it's fin rot or nipping, so your best option is to keep a careful eye on your setup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice