Is This Fin Rot? Ich?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by jfer76, Apr 18, 2017.

1. jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

Meet Finn. He is my approx 1 year old betta. I bought him as a Petco Baby Betts last year and he has grown up quite nicely on my desk at work in his nice little 5gal Fluval Chi. I was away for a couple weeks (had a co-worker feeding him) and missed some water changes and when I came back, Finn acquired popeye. I treated with Maracyn 2 and it healed. Then, his fins started to get these specks on them and started to almost fray at the edges. They don't seem red or irritated. What would be the best course of treatment? I did a 50% water change right away when I noticed it and then went back to my weekly 20% changes. Water parameters have stayed good. I also have a nerite snail in the tank, so I need to be mindful of that when treating. Thanks!
    ETA: It won't let me add a photo from my phone. Let me sign on my computer and try.
    OK see if this works

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    What are your water parameters?

To try to upload a picture, click the "upload a file" button when you're sending a new message and choose your picture. It should work.

3. OP
    OP
    jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

It kept giving me an error on the app, but I think I got the photos to work from my computer.

Using the API Ammonia (NH3/NH4) test kit I get 0ppm
    Using the API 5 in 1 strips I have the following:
    GH - 180+ (this is always high as we have hard water here)
    KH - 80
    pH - 7.0-7.5
    NO2 (nitrite) - 0
    NO3 (nitrate) - between 0-20

4. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

You're water parameters are fine. Judging by you're picture it looks like your betta does look sick but it's not a case of ich and I don't think has fin rot, I'm not too sure though.

@CindiL can hrlp you with this, because she is the most experienced in terms of fish diseases.

Best Of Luck!

5. OP
    OP
    jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

Thanks! Thankfully he is acting just fine, but I am hoping I can figure out what is going on with him since something is obviously going on.

6. OP
    OP
    jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

bump. Just hoping someone else can take a look and help me figure out what this is...

7. OP
    OP
    jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

0426171526d-1.jpg 0426171530c-1.jpg 0426171526e-1.jpg
    I'm still trying to figure out what poor Finn has going on. Could it be velvet? I took some photos of him with the flash and I don't know if it is normal iridescence or if this is velvet.

8. Cycerath

Cycerath Valued Member Member

What temp do you keep the tank at?

9. OP
    OP
    jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

It is always at 81 degrees or so.

10. OP
    OP
    jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

Still no ideas? I'm not trying to be naggy, but I just want to keep my little guy healthy. I don't want this to be something that gets worse and he gets very ill from it. He is still acting normal - flaring at Nero when he comes near his leaf, eating fine, etc - so maybe he is OK? His fins just definitely look like something is going on. *sigh* I added extra IAL and some alder cones to his tank after his water change on Friday to see if that helps any...

11. Cycerath

Cycerath Valued Member Member

the best advice i can give is to try treating it with aquarium salt and a synth slime coat. it's not velvet or ich. velvet would be sprinkles of gold dust and ich would be sprinkles of salt like spots. it kind of looks like pinhole fin rot if they are holes. kind of looks like marbling of sorts to me though which is natural changing of colors/patterns which isn't something to worry about. if you use salt/slime coat they are safe even if there's not anything wrong with him and at worst it'll just boost his immune system which isn't a bad thing at all.

12. OP
    OP
    jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

Thank you. I have been using Stress Coat with the water changes. I will pick up some Aq Salt as all I have right now are epsom salts.

13. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Ok so how often are you changing your water? His fins don't look like they aren't at the fin rot stage yet but are close. I would start by doing daily 50% water changes for 4-5 days. You can use AQ salt at the same time.

The dosing is 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon of water. Remove a large glass of tank water, dissolve the salt in the glass. Then add about 1/4 of the glass back about once an hour. Until you have added all the water back in. I would do a 50-75% Waterchange just before dosing the AQ salt. So you are starting with good clean water. Be sure to use a dechlorinator.

So for each subsequent water change you will need to dose the AQ salt for the amount you are replacing. So if you remove 2.5 gallons of the treated tank water, then replace 2.5 gallons of dechlorinated water mixed with 2.5 tsp of AQ salt. It is important to not over dose with salt, because it doesn't evaporate or get filtered out at all. If you don't remove it with water changes, it will stay in the tank.

After 4-5 days re-evaluate. See if there is an improvement at all. You may need to continue the salt treatments or you may need to switch to something different.

You should get an Ammonia test for your tank. Seachem makes a card you can attach inside your tank called Ammonia Alert. It will let you know when your Ammonia is too high. I also suggest using Seachem Prime as the dechlorinator/stress coat. It converts Ammonia to a non-toxic Ammonium up to 1ppm for 24 hours. Pretty nice to have to keep your fish safe.

14. DanielleFish

DanielleFish Well Known Member Member

Honestly, he looks okay to me. I don't think it's finrot; I've dealt with that enough to know what it is.
    How is he acting?
    How are your water parameters?
    In my opinion, it MIGHT be ich.
    Hope I helped!

15. OP
    OP
    jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

I already use Prime and Stress Coat. I have Ammonia Alert tag in the tank already, too. I also have an API ammonia kit. I had been doing 20% changes every week, but bumped them to every 5 days. He is acting fine, though. His fins just look worse for the wear for some reason.

I will pick up the Aq salt tonight or tomorrow and will up the water changes to see if it helps. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice