Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Is This Fin Rot, Bloating And A Parasite? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by fyn, May 21, 2019.

1. fyn New Member Member

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 26 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? 2 weeks, but I got the fish Saturday
    Does it have a filter? Two, a Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel 200
    Does it have a heater? Yes, 100watts
    What is the water temperature? 76°F
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 guppies, 1 nerite snail

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? I just got them, so I haven't figured out a schedule that works, but I did a 40% at around 3 today.
    How much of the water do you change?
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I vacuumed when I cleaned this time

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes, it was running ammonia in 24 hours
    What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

The last time I checked

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 2
    Nitrate: 160
    pH: 8

but I did a 40% wc, and haven't gotten to test since. I'm wondering what caused the nitrites? It was cycled.

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? I fed them Saturday, but I noticed bloating and didn't feed em Sunday or today, and will give them peas tommorow
    How much do you feed your fish? I fed a small pinch
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra Min Tropical Flakes
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? I have freeze dried bloodworms, but haven't been able to feed yet

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 3 days
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Bloating and weird swimmingI noticed Sunday. Peeling I noticed yesterday, and rubbing I noticed tonight
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? He was bloated and swimming with his head down, the equivalent of us walking on our hands. Occasionally his tail started peeling, and when I moved him to the QT with a sponge, he started rubbing on the sponge, glass stones and rock.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? Fasting.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I saw no symptoms besides bloating, but I'm guessing yeah
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Yes. The back tail has started peeling off colour, and where he was seen always with someone when I first put him in the tank, he's been off in a corner

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

So I got him Saturday, got him home, plopped and dropped him. He'd always swim with a bud, no matter what, which I though was cute. They all ate. Then I noticed he slept weird, so I told my friend, I sent her a video of him swimming and she said he was bloated, and I should fast him for two days and then feed mashed peas. I accepted her advice, and that was what I though was the end. Then in the morning of Monday, I noticed he'd been swimming head down tail up. When I got home from school Monday, I noticed his tail chipping away. Like I saw the colour peel of like nail polish. I separated him into a cycled QT, and he started rubbing on the stones and sponge filter i have in there. So now I'm worried he has fin rot, bloating and parasites, and the nitrites is certainly not helping. I'm wondering if the nitrite spike was from me doing my first gravel vac before I got him, and stirring up plant matter, and then adding fish? im unsure. I'm really hoping this is fixable, I'd hate to lose him, he's such a great friend.
    Before problems (sorry bad quality pics):

^^ after (ignore the polyfill)

2. Momgoose56 Well Known Member Member

This is Nitrate/nitrite poisoning! Do a 75% water change immediately, then do another one right after. Then retest your water parameters. Your fish are dying from nasty water!

3. fyn New Member Member

As I stated previously, it was one fish not several. I already did a wc, and then another and too much can stress the fish out. The nitrite is at .5 now, and im about to do a wc, and the nitrates is at 80. That was NOT the reason he was sick, as I stated before, he had already showed symptoms before the nitrites/nitrates showed up. I had added prime and api Quickstart to help. Only gasping at air was what was a symptom of nitrite poisoning. I simply included it in case it was making him worse. Either way, it doesn't matter, the fish is dead.

4. Momgoose56 Well Known Member Member

Your nitrates are at 80 now? And your nitrites are .5? After 2 water changes? How much water did you change out? Are you asking for help or telling us what's wrong with your fish? I'll tell you what I see, with the pictures and information you've provided then you can decide if you want help or not: the one picture is useless, the other picture isn't clear enough to see if there is any fin missing or if those tips of the fins are transparent, at that one angle there doesn't appear to be any bloating, and I see no evidence of parasites. Your nitrates are toxic at 80 and were even more toxic before you did 2 water changes. Your nitrites are toxic at .5 and were even more toxic before 2 water changes. Your tank apparently wasn't done cycling before you put fish in there as evidenced by the nitrite spike. Fish will flash and rub on things when their skin is irritated, whether from parasites, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, infection or wounds so that's not necessarily a symptom of only parasites. Prime does NOT make nitrates less toxic. It binds with low levels (less than 1 ppm total) of ammonia and nitrites for 48 hours making them less harmful to fish but must be redosed every 48 hours and water changes done to keep total of ammonia and nitrites at <1ppm. Your fish may have developed fin rot extremely fast when your nitrites shot up in your still cycling tank. It may have had parasites when you bought it, and it may have been bloated but the only pic you provided doesn't show us any of that. What you have now and in the past described points at bad water as the reason that guppy deteriorated and died so fast.