Is this fin rot and best ways to treat

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Edmund07, Jul 3, 2016.

1. E

Edmund07 New Member Member

Hi everyone I wondered if you could help me with my betta please, I noticed yesterday that he has a white area on the edge of his fin on the left hand side, I presume this is finnrot and have put lots of IAL's in his water and treated him with a bacterial infection antibiotic, he seems OK in himself I just don't understand why he has this, the water perimeters are fine and I change water every 3 days (28 litre tank) the only thing I can think is that I use a gravel cleaner to clean the substrate and that it isn't getting it sufficiently clean? Any ideas would be much appreciated, should I clean it manually now even if that means stressing him by taking him out? I have also bought some aquarium salt but don't know how it use it correctly? Any help would be great thanks!

https://www.fishlore.com/imagehost/image.php?di=22W2

2. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Edmund07, I really can't see any thing that would cause concern with your Betta. Dumping antibiotics unnecessarily into your tank can do more harm then good by creating antioniotic resistant bacteria or stressing your fish making it susceptible to other bacterium not affected by the antibiotic in your tank. With fin rot, clean water and more frequent water changes is the usual solution. Best of luck.

3. OP
    OP
    E

Ok thank you, how large waste changes would you recommend
    he has got white areas on his tail that are concerning me, hence the meds
    i perhaps won't go ahead with he second dose

4. OP
    OP
    E

*water
    stupid spell check

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice