Is this fair?- Temporary.

1. c

cameronpalte Valued Member Member

I need to put 3 platies, 1 female guppy, and 1 female swordtail in a 2.5g for around 2 weeks when I fully empty my 55g, recreate it and add things, and re fill up to the top and make sure everything is running.

It would have a heater may or may not have a filter (working on it assume no when you answer to be sure), and then gravel vac around 25% change daily removing things from bottom.

Tell me what you think, thanks!

2. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hi Cameron.

What do you think?

3. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I think it's a horrible and inhumane idea.

I think you've been on this forum long enough to know that.

4. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

No need to be so harsh :)

I wouldn't do it... what size tank are they in now, and why do you have to move them?

5. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Simply put, there is no amount of cycling that would sustain those fish in a tank that small. Youd be doing 100% waterchanges daily, WITH prime in order to keep the amonia down.

6. OP
    OP
    c

I'd be fine with doing 80% twice daily with prime for the time duration:).

7. OP
    OP
    c

They are in a 55 and I need to move them because I am planning on transferring it to my guppy fry tank and moving my guppy fry to the 55. I need to move them because I can't put them with my fry because they will eat them so they will be put there, 55g will be drained and refilled to remove any sign of disease because there was just a columnaris outbreak in it (this will occur in 2-3 weeks).

Then fry will be put in 55 and after fry will be moved, they will be transferred to the guppy fry tank.

8. J

Jewellz New Member Member

A five gallon bucket would be better than a 2.5 and doesn't cost much. If you're not going to be able to filter the 2.5 I'd go for the bucket idea or maybe find a bigger plastic storage bin, those aren't expensive either and you might already have one you could empty out for a couple weeks. And even then I'd still go with a bucket or bin over a filtered 2.5 with daily water changes because the volume of water will be overall less toxic. So if it were me I'd find a big plastic container and toss them all in with a heater and an air stone and a couple fake plants and change at least 30-50% water daily depending on how big you can go.

9. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Would it be possible for you to drain the tank and transfer the fish at the same time, on the same day? That would definitely be a lot less stressful for your fish.

10. soltarianknight

not 80% 100%. The fish you listed are big wast producers, As stated above a plastic storage bin would be better, much safer and cheap as a dime.

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Is it really necessary to break the tank down like that? and wait 2 weeks to put the fish back in it?

You can't sterilize the tank, and even if you do it's only temporary. There are naturally occurring bad things in the tank. Under normal circumstances the fish's immune system keeps it healthy, but in poor conditions (not always water quality) pathogens in the tank can get a foothold. I mean, do you have any idea how many pathogens you come in contact with every day?? There's nothing you can do about it, short of turning into Monk (you're probably too young to get that reference).

How is it going to take two weeks to get the 55 back up and running?

I think you are making this way harder than it needs to be.

12. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I had a coulumaris outbreak in my 30gal last year. After treating with meds and recycling the tank after the meds killed the cycle, I just restocked it, almost a year later , the tank is fine,I never took it apart to clean it.

13. Meeps83

Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

I thought you had 2 2.5 gallon tanks. This would still be VERY not ideal, but you could always split the fish up between the two tanks. Or, since you have nowhere for the guppy fry to go currently, you could always put all the fish in the 10 gallon and let nature take it's course. Since you have a female guppy, there will be MANY fry to come and the platy, swords, and guppy would all have a much more appropriate tank for the time being.

14. OP
    OP
    c

I guess its just the panic over what happened during the columnaris outbreak. I literally had to set aside 5 minutes every morning and night to so that I could have time to lift up my 2 large decorations and fish dead fish out of the tank. It really felt bad that I had to specifically set aside time to fish dead fish out of the water. This is probably just my way of telling myself, hey if I do this, then it'll never happen again, I'll never need to worry about this, or aka my way of recovering for that.

Since evidently this isn't necessary then if I do it over the weekend I can have it all happen in a day, 2 tops (something unexpectadly pops up).

I am too young to get that reference, I kind of get it but am not sure:)...

thanks for the help!

15. Jaysee

16. OP
    OP
    c

Ok I will look into some buckets thanks for the advice. Interesting read about the TV show.

17. soltarianknight

Jaysee -_- a monk reffrence, REALLY? XD

18. Jaysee

That was one of my favorite shows. Seen every episode :)